diy solar

diy solar

Can I hook up AC to inverter this way?

glandpuck

Solar Enthusiast
I am having issues with my AC grid input to my hybrid inverter. So as a means of testing, I want to use my sub-panel which has a direct grid input from the main panel by installing a double pole 240V 30 amp breaker on the sub-panel and then connect that to the grid input of my inverter. Initially the inverter load breakers will be off and no wires connected to the load output of the inverter. This is just to see if the AC grid quality input is causing any inverter hiccups.

If the inverter remains stable with this grid connection, then I plan to connect the load into the sub-panel to the inverter's load connection. This would make it be: grid to sub-panel | sub-panel to inverter grid input | inverter load output back to sub-panel. Sort of a local loop with loads being powered this way through inverter. then I can test out grid powering loads, batteries powering loads and PV powering loads and grid and PV charging batteries.

Any thoughts on further isolating grid input qualities to inverter?

Do not connect inverter output AND grid to subpanel at the same time. They may not be in phase sync if inverter is not grid sync'd to inverter AC input first.

There is a pass-through relay within hybrid inverter that closes after inverter syncs to AC input.

Most hybrid inverters have an indicator telling you if they are sync'd and connected to AC input. You should also hear the pass-through relay clunk when it connects.

It can take a few seconds to a minute for inverter to phase sync to AC input before it closes the pass-through relay putting AC input and inverter in parallel connection. Inverter is always connected to AC output and has no way to separate itself from AC output, other than shut down the inverter.

When pass-through relay is open, inverter is its own master. When pass-though relay is closed the inverter is phase/voltage slave to AC input.

Back