diy solar

diy solar

Can I select a close/matching charging voltage as the inverter does not state Lifepo4

Urge38

Hi Guys

I am trying to gather my shopping list of components.

UNFORUNATLY for me, I require a inverter for high inductive loads, IE a large air compressor of 2 to 3 HP, and running on 230Volts as I live in the UK
from my understanding, a LF inverter is what I need

what with all my many hours searching, I have ONLY found one (yes one) inverter that will do the job and is available in the Uk (and covers UK specs)

This is a PowerStar LF 6000W/18000w surge 48V inverter

Now the hurdle I need to get over

the manual only says/shows charging options for
(please note, below chart is for 12v so times by four for my 48v)

Gel USA @ 14v float 13.7V
AGM @ 14.1v float 13.4v
AGM @ 14.6v float 14.7v
sealed Lead acid @ 14.1 float 13.6
Gel Europe @ 14.4 float 13.8v
Open lead acid @14.8 float 13.8v
Calcium open @15.1 float 13.6v

could I still connect this inverter to a sever rack battery of Lifepo4 type ??????

Short likely answer, yes.
More details are needed...
Is your battery DIY or off the shelf? Is it 15s or 16s? Likely 16...
There is no user option to program your own voltages?

Don't use AGM @14.6 or calcium...

Battery I was looking to purchase was the Fogstar server rack battery, and it looks like it is 16cell Fogstar Energy SR51.2V

I dont think that will handle 14000w of inrush current for a few seconds

the Low frequency inverter I was looking at says it can handle up to 18000watts of inrush for 20seconds
The Schneider will laugh at it for a few seconds. The inverter you are considering will likely cause lights to flicker a bit.
Look at the 30 minute overload rating on the Schneider...
If money is not a factor buy the Schneider. (note, you'll need a communication box as well).

Is there a way to soft start a compressor or test it's actual inrush current? I value my pack enough to want more control over charging if there was a reasonable workaround the compressor issue. I love my air compressor but would not let it determine my choice of an inverter and battery system that I expect to use 24/7 versus intermittent use of an air compressor. My situation is that I always have the grid as backup for starting that kind of load.

I'd be spending a few hundred quid on a 3kw VFD, rather than an inverter of questionable quality such as that mentioned.

I have multiple machines, all high induction that I need to run

All be it individually

2 to 3 HP electric motors hence my reason for a adequate inverter

On some off my 3phase machines, I do have 240v to three phase inverters powering them

Only that complicates things for me when trying to now work out the inrush current off the three phase milling machine running through the 240v to 3 phase inverter

The Schneider will laugh at it for a few seconds. The inverter you are considering will likely cause lights to flicker a bit.
Look at the 30 minute overload rating on the Schneider...
If money is not a factor buy the Schneider. (note, you'll need a communication box as well).

Take just one off my smaller air compressors running on 10amp continuous

10amps times 230v =2300w
2300w times a factor off 6 (inrush on induction electric motors) and we have 13,600watts

The max rating off the Schneider is 12,000 watts for x amount of seconds

You now can understand what trouble this is for me to find a inverter that's man enough for the job

Yes yes and yes again, I DONT like the inverter I am having to pick

I wish I could find a more reliable inverter if I am honest

... you appear to be transfixed on finding a inverter capable of handling the inrush current "issue" rather than negating the "issue" .... I'm not sure why

My Cnswipower Inverter runs my 2.5hp belt driven air compressor and restarts it with 120psi in the tank. It is 6000w/48v HF and has built in soft start.

I'd be spending a few hundred quid on a 3kw VFD, rather than an inverter of questionable quality such as that mentioned.
Whoa whoa whoa..... I've worked/installed/modified several VFD's over the years. (AC Tech, Leeson, AB Powerflex, Dart, EuroDrive, Balder,....). This has never crossed my mind! Using a VFD instead of an inverter!?!?!?! Now you all got me thinking! Can this replace an inverter I have yet to buy, or are you all talking just for the compressor in question?

Love this place, where would we be without it?

Consider a soft starter for your induction motor, available single or three phase,

Mike

Hi guys

I not only run air compressors, but also milling machines and lathes

All around the 2 to 3hp size

Spining a milling machine upto speed is no real issue as it is only turning a small chuck

A lathe on the other hand can have a large chuck and that could be holding a heavy item in its jaws

Air compressors are no real problem to start empty, but when you have 120psi in the tank and the air compressor is doing a re-start I am not so sure the use off s soft start is the way to go.

The induction electric motor not only has to turn its own heavy copper windings but it is trying to turn a air pump thar is under pressure from the air tank

I am no expert when it comes yo inverters hence why I am hear looking for help

I think part of my concern is that you can't trust a no-name spec sheet.

I haven't watched this video in a while, but from memory he starts some large loads with a single XW. If it isn't this video, it is this YouTuber

I think part of my concern is that you can't trust a no-name spec sheet.

I haven't watched this video in a while, but from memory he starts some large loads with a single XW. If it isn't this video, it is this YouTuber

How funny !!!! Just minuets before logging on, on my pc and seeing this reply, I actually stumbled across this very same video whilst in bed, watching YouTube on my phone.

yes the XW pro is a quality bit of kit and the video does indeed highlight my concerns.

What I did note, was his air compressor was a bit smaller than mine, he gave the specs of one HP, and at the end of the video when he pans the camera around to show the larger machines he runs from a inverter, he did say he was running two possibly three WX pros to power that lot,

this is exactly my concerns, and this video is the ONLY VIDEIO that I have seen that covers this topic,

neither the less, many many thanks 400bird for the link and spending the time to point me in the right direction, as a new bee, Its very hard to not only take all this stuff in, but you also hear so many different opinions.

this video you was kind enough to link for me, does go a long way to help me on my journey

Last edited:
Back