diy solar

diy solar

Can a cheap used server UPS modified as a solar inverter

t-muehlberger

TLDR: Want to use an old cheap server UPS because it already has battery + grid-charger + inverter built in. Also this things are really cheap usually.

Ok, so I am trying this as a hobby project and the idea is to build a rather small and rather cheap solar system. Now I get that none of this comes even close to any best practices in this space but this is just for hobby use so bear with me here.

So the Idea is to build a small solar array on the roof in order to power some devices around the house. Now I do need off-grid capabilities or battery storage since our grid here is pretty stable and the devices are not mission critical, also batteries would add more cost to the project. What I want is a system where I can plug in some devices that run on 230V mains. When the sun is out I want to use the solar power but when the sun is not so strong or during the night grid power should be used to fill the gap.

Now I know that a grid-tie system would be perfect for this but for legal reasons this is not an option here (You have to register it and have to get it installed by a professional, which adds cost and takes away hobby feeling).

Ok so here is my Idea. So basically I would be using a really small battery (lead-acid probably, cheap, simple to charge, is allowed to float). Then I would use a grid power supply set to 13.6V for example. Also a MPPT would be connected to the battery, set to voltage of 13.8V (which is higher than the gird power supply). The idea is that as soon as the sun is is there and the battery voltage rises above the Voltage of the grid power supply only solar power is used since now the voltage potential of the battery is higher than the grid charger and no power is flowing. As soon as the sun goes away or the panes produce not enough the voltage will fall back down and the grid power supply will kick in and make up for the difference. Also there is an inverter connected to the battery to power the loads. The battery would be really small in capacity, probably an old used car battery. I am not even sure if a battery would be needed in this case but I am assuming it is good for load spikes.

In my head this should work, am I wrong?

Ok, now here comes the sketchy part: I have this old server UPS lying around (also these can be had really cheap on the internet with (semi)-deffect batteries probably). If I am not mistaking this thing should already contain all the necessary parts in the correct configuration. It has a batttery, a grid charger, an inverter. Only need to pop open the cover and connect an MPPT to the battery terminals. Maybe some minor modifications.

At least in my head it would sound this simple, am I wrong? Am I missing anything?

Do you know how much power you are expecting to use at 240v?
Without a battery to provide some surge current, your array might need to be large.
Bandying volts around is different from providing startup and working amps at 240vac.

Ideally I would like any power that cannot be provided by the solar panel to come from the grid.

Edit: Also not sure yet what to power with this system, the idea is still in an early phase.

So I saw a lot of content here about how to build an isolated off-grid system. Also about grid-tie systems. But what I need is something in between since I cannot have a grid-tie system but also don't really want to spend money on large battery banks.

UPS's for servers is about 2700 watts and run off of 48 to 96 VDC on the ones I looked at some of the smaller ones are 24 VDC 1200 watts. A grid-tied system is not possible with a UPS unless it malfunctions so you are safe.

So I saw a lot of content here about how to build an isolated off-grid system. Also about grid-tie systems. But what I need is something in between since I cannot have a grid-tie system but also don't really want to spend money on large battery banks.

Grid-tie zero export could be the way to go. All available PV is used to generate AC in your house wiring, except current transformers at utility connection sense power import/export and reduce power so export doesn't occur.

Alternatively, an on-line UPS which has PV keeping batteries charged, and an AC powered CV/CC power supply set to a slightly lower voltage. All PV is used if needed, but power drawn from grid if battery voltage drops.

Grid-tie zero export could be the way to go. All available PV is used to generate AC in your house wiring, except current transformers at utility connection sense power import/export and reduce power so export doesn't occur.

Alternatively, an on-line UPS which has PV keeping batteries charged, and an AC powered CV/CC power supply set to a slightly lower voltage. All PV is used if needed, but power drawn from grid if battery voltage drops.
The problem with the UPS charger is there is no way to set the charger in the UPS at least in the APC ones but the UPS on fleabay can be had for around $270. delivered 2700 watts.

Actually found out that in my country I am allowed to connect up to 800Wp to the grid myself without any registration process, just have to let my grid provider know in an informal e-mail. So that is what I am going to do.

I still think recycling an old online UPS might be a fun project idea for an other day:)

But hypothetically I think it just needs some hack to lower the voltage of the internal UPS charger by a bit, maybe there is some trim pot on the circuit board, otherwise maybe a diode could do the trick?

Another problem with the ups is they are a ups...
In other words, they operate 100% grid supply unless the grid is down. They do not draw from the battery unless there is a grid interruption.

Another problem with the ups is they are a ups...
In other words, they operate 100% grid supply unless the grid is down. They do not draw from the battery unless there is a grid interruption.
As far as I am aware some cheaper UPS do exactly what you describe, more expensive Online-UPS (also called VFI) always go via the battery, correct me if I am wrong.

Correct unless you disconnect it from the grid then it will be solar or whatever you are using to charge the batteries. Warning some UPS's cannot be brought up if there is no grid, APC can be brought up.

Actually found out that in my country I am allowed to connect up to 800Wp to the grid myself without any registration process, just have to let my grid provider know in an informal e-mail. So that is what I am going to do.

I still think recycling an old online UPS might be a fun project idea for an other day:)

But hypothetically I think it just needs some hack to lower the voltage of the internal UPS charger by a bit, maybe there is some trim pot on the circuit board, otherwise maybe a diode could do the trick?
On the APC UPS there are no trim pots.

And then you have the possibility of UPS failing. If you need reliability, add a SPDT relay, NC contact connecting load to grid. If UPS output is present, close NO contact to power load from UPS.

And then you have the possibility of UPS failing. If you need reliability, add a SPDT relay, NC contact connecting load to grid. If UPS output is present, close NO contact to power load from UPS.
Or simply plug the ups into the grid.

As far as I am aware some cheaper UPS do exactly what you describe, more expensive Online-UPS (also called VFI) always go via the battery, correct me if I am wrong.
They are used where the grid is very unstable as to voltage so the ups need to stay on bat all the time. The APC ups that I have gotten on fleabay are not cheap new they were over $3k new.

Back