diy solar

diy solar

Can I use solar controller without battery? I only need USB to charge my power banks.

asukabat

Hi Newbie here , I am wondering if I buy a solar panel kit without battery , can I use the USB in solar controller to charge my power bank? I learned that the proper setup is to insert first the battery wire to solar controller before inserting the solar panel wire. What will happen if I insert the panel without inserting battery? Thank you in advance !

I am planning to buy this 50w Noma solar panel kit. I will be using it for camping.

Attachments

• spp.jpg
    spp.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6
Many solar controllers are dual 12v / 24v, determined when battery is connected. Still, I would not want to do a smoke test. Also leakage current's could cause the voltage to keep rising, in the absence of a load. Cheap stuff like this switch between the negative terminals, so it's a real mind bender to predict how that interacts with USB and power bank with other connections.

If your goal is just to charge USB devices, and you are willing to take some risk, why not just buy a cheap solar panel and a 12 / 24 volt USB port and plug it in without a solar charge controller? It may or may not work without it.

They are pretty inexpensive, so you can try it at home and see if it works.

The other approach is that you can just use a capacitor and no controller. The capacitor will charge up to the panel Voc.

Buy a panel that has a Voc of more like 15 volts.

Last edited:

Take a look at these. I put some in my daughter's cars when covid hit to keep the starter batteries from going dead.

Might be closer to your needs.

You are right in general though - the intention of most systems is to charge a 12 volt battery and then USB from from there, so be sure to test first.

You can try purchasing a very low power USB port and see if that helps to deal with the low power available - now sure if that will work with your power bank though.

Last edited:

Kind of pricey, but it turns out they even make a version that is exactly what you are trying to do. Has a USB C outlet port and is built to charge USB devices.

So I made a quick test this afternoon and running the panel directly to a 12v usb socket works well

View attachment 157334

View attachment 157335

Thanks - does that tester indicate what the setup can deliver power wise or is that how much your USB load was pulling?

I am just wondering if that test can be used as an indication that it would actually charge a USB type power bank as those might charge at various rates?

Now I need to go take a spare panel and USB port from the garage and borrow my wife's power bank for a test. :)

Last edited:
Back