diy solar

diy solar

Can I use two or three (or four) charge sources simultaneously?

Tomthumb62

Solar Wizard
My problem is my 12v 200Ah AGM bank isn't ever getting a good solid and full charge. My whole system is underpowered for 200Ah of AGM. So while I know I can safely install more than one SCC, how does that work if I'm using several sources at once?

My 200Ah AGM bank needs a good 30-40A charge, at least once a week for 2-3 hours. And they've never gotten it. I think this rather quickly killed our first bank and we just installed these new batteries and I don't want to kill them again.

Due to not enough panels and poor angles (half the panels are mounted on the camper roof, flat; the other 2 are good producers in a suitcase format), I only get about 9-14A this time of year, SCC is a Renogy Rover 30A. I do have a NOCO Gen2, which is basically two 10A chargers in one unit, so the bank receives a 20A charge when using this (which if some solar is also charging, I might reach 30-34A, which is closer...)

I have another 15A (automatic) AC charger I could use. Can I safely do this? 20A+15A+whatever solar produces, would probably reach 40A.

My googling showed that this wasn't possible, that if you're going to do that, they have to be two equal chargers. Meaning, I'd have to get another 20A Gen2 and wire in parallel to the bank. But the answers I was seeing seemed to always refer to auto starting batteries, not sure if it's different with deep cycle AGM?

If doing this with multiple AC chargers is a no go, why is it possible to do so with multiple charge controllers? I've seen systems with 8 or more charge controllers, MPPT, PWM, different models, etc.

Thank you.

Thank you. I hadn't yet seen that post/article. I had seen ones like it (not on this website), but they were not as well written and didn't quench my doubts.

I will charge away!

diy solar

diy solar
Back