diy solar

diy solar

Can someone recommend a good quality LiFePo4 24 vDC battery charger?

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Looking around for a decent, but not horribly expensive, stand alone (120vAC powered) battery charger to charge lithium batteries. Most of the ones I am finding are rather dubious Chinese made units that mention lithium batteries (amongst all other battery types) but seem to be all things to all batteries. Auto detect this and repair that sort of stuff. Does anyone have a brand and model that they have found to do a good job?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
I have an AIMS CON120AC12 charger that I'm pleased with. It can pump 75A into my 12V LiFePO4 battery and I like that I can dial the current down to give a slower (say 20A) charge. I use as a stand alone unit in my trailer. I didn't change the trailer converter, instead use the solar to top off the battery. The AIMS is for no sun days and I need to fire up the generator.

The Aims is a nice looking charger but in the more expensive than I can justify category. Would like one in the $100'ish range and it doesn't need more than 20 amps. Could get by with 5 amps.

Might have found one that meets my specs over at Aegis battery. Interesting place that seems to cater to the E-Bike and scooter crowd. If anyone has one of their chargers I would be interested in a review.

https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/p...ion-battery-charger-tricycle-lithium-charger/
I have bought two chargers from them and am very happy with the quality. This is NOT a fly by night outfit by no means. just go to the drop down menu and pic the lifePo4 29.2v 18 amp for $106.80. They even let you choose plugs you want. I have both Anderson plugs on my 48 volt as well as my 24 volt system with no problems. As you will see they sell all kinds of BMS's as well as support items.
Its just a thought.
I also talked to James and it seems the charger voltage can be adjusted a little by a pot if you need slightly lower charge voltage like I did and do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rho
Thanks MG for the link and recommendation. Unfortunately when I see a website that the last copyright date is 2015, which is a long time ago, I tend to avoid dealing with the company.

ETA: looking closely at the battery charger at Aegis and at the one you link they are very similar. Would not surprise me if the same place makes them in China.

Last edited:
They are a large company that makes good quality stuff. I know I have two chargers that NEVER skip a beat. I also bought the 300 amp BMS for a friend and his solar system we built and as I suspected it is top tier quality and not one hiccup. I plan on getting more BMS's for my project I have in line. I buy from them because Ali express is a darn crap shoot and a cesspool for corruption but hey!, it is your dollar not mine. Also just FYI they sell "REAL" Nickle strip not fake shit like you get with Ali and crooked "I can't pack it worth a shit' Amazon.
Good luck fellow DIYer

Last edited:
You might want to check out the Victron Energy IP65 Blue Smart Chargers. They have 12 and 24 volt versions with different amperage options. I have a 24V 8 Amp model and am very happy with it. Since I have upgraded my battery size I now wish I had bought one with more amps but the 8 Amp is satisfactory.

Looks like a decent enough charger I just dislike things that use bluetooth, cell phones or additional equipment to properly setup. There is automatic equipment and there is all this new fangled we must connect to everything (IOE internet of everything) devices. Victron is way too much to have an ecosystem of interconnected and required devices to make one device work properly.

Looks like a decent enough charger I just dislike things that use bluetooth, cell phones or additional equipment to properly setup. There is automatic equipment and there is all this new fangled we must connect to everything (IOE internet of everything) devices. Victron is way too much to have an ecosystem of interconnected and required devices to make one device work properly.
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but you don't need any other Victron devices to use the Blue Smart Charger. What makes you think you need other interconnected / required devices?

I actually prefer something like the Victron that lets you program it via Bluetooth. Most of the chargers like the one linked to above have a set charging profile that likely is not best for your LiFePO4 battery. For example, the only choice for 24V LiFePO4 in the one in post #5 above is a fixed voltage of 29.2V. That translates to the max 3.65V per cell, so it is certain that your BMS will cut off before all the cells are fully charged. Perhaps worse, there is no float setting, so it will hold the 29.2V level until you turn it off. Even if the BMS doesn't cut out, holding all your cells at 3.65V for extended periods is not good.

I should point out that I'm pretty sure the Victron IP65 Blue Smart Charger only supports 12V batteries. You'd probably have to go to the IP22 charger if you go with Victron, and that sounds like it is out of your price range.

Reactions: JRH
I felt the same way when I first got my first Victron piece of equipment. BUT , after diving in and seeing all the ways to use all the controls and flexible options , I love it.. I generally try to have the simpler equipment too for certain work, so I understand what you say… I’m glad I jumped into the Victron equipment pool …Now it doesn’t scare me ,and it is cool to be able see all your stuff on one screen … it’s not as hard as I thought .. unfortunately this is becoming the future way of stuff .
but I still like the old school stuff ,and I still like a microwave that has ONE button that will make it cook …
good luck .
jim.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but you don't need any other Victron devices to use the Blue Smart Charger. What makes you think you need other interconnected / required devices?
If it needs bluetooth devices to set parameters it is not a simple stand alone device.

I actually prefer something like the Victron that lets you program it via Bluetooth. Most of the chargers like the one linked to above have a set charging profile that likely is not best for your LiFePO4 battery. For example, the only choice for 24V LiFePO4 in the one in post #5 above is a fixed voltage of 29.2V. That translates to the max 3.65V per cell, so it is certain that your BMS will cut off before all the cells are fully charged. Perhaps worse, there is no float setting, so it will hold the 29.2V level until you turn it off. Even if the BMS doesn't cut out, holding all your cells at 3.65V for extended periods is not good.

I should point out that I'm pretty sure the Victron IP65 Blue Smart Charger only supports 12V batteries. You'd probably have to go to the IP22 charger if you go with Victron, and that sounds like it is out of your price range.
I just bought two IP 22 units ..12 and 24 ….30 amp and 16 amp respectively . You are correct ,, very versatile and can be adjusted in many ways that are important to LFP batts .. BUT you can just use the mode button on the front for simple stuff at default settings or go into the phone app for detailed set up…
I think they are great .
jim.

I LOVE my hobby charger for 24v charging... it's an iCharger x8 and you can get them for around $120. You would still need a power supply (like a cheap bench-top) or a battery, but it's so powerful and versatile. It can charge up to 30 amps all the way up to 8s, has active balancing, etc. It really can't be beat in my opinion! Supports up to 1100 watts charging if your power supply supports it. Can charge almost every battery chemistry type, including lifepo4 and lead acid.

Here's a link to the charger: https://www.progressiverc.com/products/icharger-x8

If you don't need a lot of amps for charging, you can use a cheap benchtop power supply such as this, for as little as $13 for a 5amp (12v): https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Transformer/dp/B078RY6YY3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZGLHZAYSPTLR&keywords=power+supply+12V+5A&qid=1659967327&sprefix=power+supply+12v+5a,aps,146&sr=8-5

I personally use a 280Ah 12v battery so it can delivery the full 30amps for 24 volts:

rNpF7Z0.jpg

193fc03e-b880-40b9-bd7d-f59aa8a431f8
fdLbvkj.jpg

Specs:

1HvP9Xf.png

Last edited:
If it needs bluetooth devices to set parameters it is not a simple stand alone device.
Well, if you can find a charger that lets you set the exact absorption, float, and storage voltages and choose what charge profile you want without Bluetooth, please let us know. Requiring a Bluetooth capable phone doesn't seem like a tough ask in 2022, but to each his own.
I LOVE my hobby charger for 24v charging... it's an iCharger x8 and you can get them for around $120. You would still need a power supply (like a cheap bench-top) or a battery, but it's so powerful and versatile. It can charge up to 30 amps all the way up to 8s, has active balancing, etc. It really can't be beat in my opinion! Supports up to 1100 watts charging if your power supply supports it. Can charge almost every battery chemistry type, including lifepo4 and lead acid.
I have the iSDT Q8 charger. Pretty similar to the iCharger. I don't use it much for LiFePO4 as it tends to stop charging as soon as it gets to the target voltage. Not sure if the iCharger does the same thing. I think if you have a BMS that you trust, it is better to just use a standard charger that doesn't try to do its own balancing. It is handy to have if you get some cells and don't have the BMS yet.

That iCharger unit looks good. I like the various features from a first glance at it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edit : At my age bluetooth is what you get from eating blueberries.

I have the iSDT Q8 charger. Pretty similar to the iCharger. I don't use it much for LiFePO4 as it tends to stop charging as soon as it gets to the target voltage. Not sure if the iCharger does the same thing. I think if you have a BMS that you trust, it is better to just use a standard charger that doesn't try to do its own balancing. It is handy to have if you get some cells and don't have the BMS yet.

It charges LiFePo4 quite well, but the voltage is only settable in .1 increments (so you can top balance at either 3.6 or 3.7, but not 3.65. I use 3.6). The iCharger works as a normal charger, once hitting the desired top voltage amps will slowly trickle down to 0.

You could still use the iCharger as a "normal" charger without balancing, although I think the balancing leads always need to be connected if LiFePo4 setting is used. I have a balancing lead with 9 alligator clips on it that I use so I don't have to unscrew anything to use it.

Last edited:
I like my noco genius 12v. unfortunately, I don't think they have a 24v charger than is affordable.

Here's a link to the charger: https://www.progressiverc.com/products/icharger-x8

If you don't need a lot of amps for charging, you can use a cheap benchtop power supply such as this, for as little as $13 for a 5amp (12v): https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Transformer/dp/B078RY6YY3/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZGLHZAYSPTLR&keywords=power+supply+12V+5A&qid=1659967327&sprefix=power+supply+12v+5a,aps,146&sr=8-5

I personally use a 280Ah 12v battery so it can delivery the full 30amps for 24 volts:

rNpF7Z0.jpg

193fc03e-b880-40b9-bd7d-f59aa8a431f8
fdLbvkj.jpg

Specs:

1HvP9Xf.png
Wauw, so small. Doesn't it get very hot?

Wauw, so small. Doesn't it get very hot?

No, it doesn't get very hot at all - it has an internal fan that spins up whenever required.

In fact, I have been using this little guy to cycle a brand new 320Ah 8s pack I just built - it's currently been charging for almost 12 hours straight and still only 40 degrees C:

1718549592926.png

As you can see by the bottom line, I'm using a 12 V power supply (it's only 360 watts so that's what I'm restricted to at the moment... this unit can charge at up to 1100 watts if using the right power supply).

After I top balance the pack using the balance wires with the iCharger, I then remove the balance leads and cycle the pack once or twice using the Lead Acid profile since that will be similar to how I'm using it in a real world situation.

I'm considering buying a 2nd one of these, they really are great little chargers and I've come to rely heavily on mine.

I have 3 chargers .

Victron Blue Smart Charger 12/30 (3) IP22 version 2 (that model have V.E bluetooth option for the smart battery sense for the temp) ( version 1 not)
Victron Blue smart charger 12/17 ip 67 model
This have no support for the smart Battery sense .
All of them are fully user program and 24volt models are thare

And i have cheap basic for slow charge
Brand buddy go zyx-j40
Do i trust it ?
No but just to charge it works.
I have done my lipo4 with it .
And no problems with it.
So cheap slow charger for balance the cells its a fine unit to do so.

It do 12 and 24 volt

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240616-171613.png
    Screenshot_20240616-171613.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240616-171617.png
    Screenshot_20240616-171617.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 1

diy solar

diy solar
Back