diy solar

diy solar

Can you add more solar wattage than your MPPT wattage is rated for?

Etheoma

So I live in England where like apart from maybe 2 months a year total I am not going to max out my MPPT battery charger and even when I do like I plan to have the solar charge controller be big enough that it can easily support my usage plus bring the batteries to 100% state of charge in a single day so I don't actually need the maximum power the array can push out to be any higher.

What I want is to increase the power I get on more overcast days or during winter, so for example could I have like say 4.5kW of solar but a charge controller than can only charge the batteries at 3kW, or would that break the charge controller?

Also if you can do this how far can you take it?

And Yeh I know I need to keep the open circuit voltage of the array under the maximum voltage for the charge control, or blue smoke.

Overpanel. It will take whatever it needs and leave the rest. Overpanel improves time when mppt works at max.

Watch your Voc.

Exception: pwm style controller.

So I live in England where like apart from maybe 2 months a year total I am not going to max out my MPPT battery charger and even when I do like I plan to have the solar charge controller be big enough that it can easily support my usage plus bring the batteries to 100% state of charge in a single day so I don't actually need the maximum power the array can push out to be any higher.

What I want is to increase the power I get on more overcast days or during winter, so for example could I have like say 4.5kW of solar but a charge controller than can only charge the batteries at 3kW, or would that break the charge controller?

Also if you can do this how far can you take it?

And Yeh I know I need to keep the open circuit voltage of the array under the maximum voltage for the charge control, or blue smoke.

A similar question came up not long ago. Check out this thread for some information regarding your question.

Just remember that VOC is a hard number.
Amperage is not. Therefore wattage isn't either.

Back