diy solar

diy solar

Car battery as panel input?

John.DS99

There are times when my solar panels are providing power, but the batteries are full. If you had a spare car battery, you could charge it up.

Would it be possible to use that car battery as a substitute for solar panel DC input later in the day if you had depleted your main battery?

Do you mean through a solar charge controller?

Essentially using it as a DC-DC converter

If it's MPPT then yes it's possible but the car batteries voltage has to be within the start up range of your mppt

Also it's not going to work if you're trying to move 12v to 12v , because your main battery bank would need 14.5v~ to charge, while your car battery even full would be around 12v under load ... 99% of MPPTs only step down, they don't step voltage up

It works great for 24v > 12v , 48v > 12v ect.

It's actually a question I asked not so long ago

On my cheap little system it is a powerstation that has solar inputs. When the battery is full I was thinking if I had a car battery I could use the dc outputs to charge it and use it in some way later such as solar panel input after the powerstation battery was depleted.

Just thinking, not knowing anything.

Have a read of that , Will the owner of the forum doesn't recommend it , others say it works just fine

It's been talked about a lot on here, different options

Back