diy solar

diy solar

Cascadia/Lensun Hood Panels

Arbee

What do people think of those Cascadia 4x4 and Lensun Solar vehicle hood (bonnet for our friends across the "Pond") based, vehicle specific panels?

I'm not expecting rave reviews. I know Will wasn't much of a fan of them (flexible panels that is--and not necessarily, worse, those situated on hot vehicle hoods) in 2018
, but had better things to say in 2021 about CIGS Based Flexible Solar Panels (Copper Indium Gallium Diselenide Solar Cells--yes--I needed to look that up ;)) of which I do not believe that either vendor's product offerings are made of (please do correct me if I am wrong here.)

I get the impression, anecdotally, not scientifically that Cascadia's more expensive product is also of better quality
but can't help but think that in addition to all the pitfalls of cracked flexible non-CIGS panels compromising voltage over time, that placing such a panel above a source of heat may damage it. In fairness I do believe that Cascadia distances the panel from the vehicle hood by small amounts to allow air flow.

I certainly don't take issue with the panel's performance being compromised during the temporary time period when a vehicle's heat emitting engine is cranked, as that's when the vehicle alternator can presumptively provide power lost from such panels transient loss of efficiency due to heat. And I can't help but think that the installation of non-flexible panels on the roof real estate of a van (if you are so equipped) is likely to be better, but use of the otherwise lost real estate of the engine bay hood does sound enticing.

Has anyone been running with these longer than, say, 2 years, and found them to still work (well)?

TIA

Last edited:
Hoods usually have insulation to keep the heat in the engine bay and not too hot on the exterior. Also engine bays are designed to move air through the engine while driving so I don't think excess hoot temp is much of an issue. Plenty of people put wrap on their hoods and such without issues.

I'd actually assume when driving it's a huge benefit as the hood is getting a ton of airflow unlike a roof which airflow is deflected from the hood.

The downside of putting on a hood is it'll affect aerodynamics even if a couple mm thick. This will affect mpg and noise

Back