diy solar

diy solar

Flexible solar panels on a travel trailer

Solar Buddy

Good day. Trying to figure out is my flexible solar panels houl be mounted up off the rubber roof for helping to cool them. Heat is an enemy of most electrical devices these ays. My problem is I am hesitant in drilling through the roof. Also wind affecting the mountings as it is towed down the road at highway speeds. Any thoughts on the idea out there?

Plastic cardboard between the roof and the panel. Be warned flexible solar panels have a poor longevity record.

Using plastic grid underneath, similar to that used on a garden fence about 2ft high might help laid flat in the roof, stuck down then add the Flexi panel on top of the grid. As you have identified, dissipation of heat is the key to longevity...

I mounted mine with 3M VHB double sided tape and have done about 5000 miles last summer with 0 issues.
"Zero issues"... have you measured your watts now vs brand new? I'm having a hard time finding any actual valid reports with measured data for 1 to 4 years usage, just folks with a 1 sentence, "all seems good!", which doesn't lend confidence to override Will Prowse opinion on these. I'm hoping for some better reports a bit more data driven than this, before I ignore all the warnings for poor longevity and purchase. Any actual numbers? Thx

"Zero issues"... have you measured your watts now vs brand new? I'm having a hard time finding any actual valid reports with measured data for 1 to 4 years usage, just folks with a 1 sentence, "all seems good!", which doesn't lend confidence to override Will Prowse opinion on these. I'm hoping for some better reports a bit more data driven than this, before I ignore all the warnings for poor longevity and purchase. Any actual numbers? Thx
My brother in law picked up a black series trailer that had 600 watts of flexible panels. they ALL failed in just over 1 year. I tested the system myself.
It now has a 480 watt single panel.

Good day. Trying to figure out is my flexible solar panels houl be mounted up off the rubber roof for helping to cool them. Heat is an enemy of most electrical devices these ays. My problem is I am hesitant in drilling through the roof. Also wind affecting the mountings as it is towed down the road at highway speeds. Any thoughts on the idea out there?
i would just use 3m tape and be done with it. if you want longevity dont buy flexible.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the OP, I thought we were asking about how to mount the panels. I will check the output of the panels when we dewinterize the rig in a few weeks.

I have both flexible panels taped to the roof and flat glass panels secured to the roof.

I don’t recommend a plastic cardboard or any other type of material under the flexible panel on a rubber roof. I did this and it the tape bubbled from the panel vibrating in the wind from going down the road. I have since taped more of the panel down.

I mounted mine with one of RV with TITO’s videos where you can remove the panel. THe leading edge and trailing edge are taped down.

IMO, tape all four sides of the panel down completely.

I think there are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of RVs with Panels screwed into the roof. I was certainly not comfortable with the idea of screwing a panel into the roof, but after days of google searches and dozens of YouTUbe videos, I felt a lot more comfortable.

Back