diy solar

diy solar

Best mounting method for Flexible solar panels to an RV roof

0rion

Hi - I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the best way to mount flexible solar panels (MiaSole CIGS panels) to an RV TPO Roof?

- My panels don't have adhesive, what do you recommend? Eternabond around the edges? Roll-on adhesive or peel-and-stick to the bottom? I'd prefer to not drill any holes in my roof
- Flush mounted to the roof or did you use a corrugated plastic sheet or something else for airflow? If flush, how is the performance in the heat?

Would love to see pics if possible, thanks!

Mount hard panels with a cooling gap.

Bonding flexible panels has one or both of the following effects:
  1. Decreased output due to elevated temperature - you'll NEVER get rated output.
  2. Decreased life due to elevated temperature.
Not the answer you wanted, but I felt compelled to present that. :)

Did you scan the forum before posting, literally the post right next to this is the same question...

Go there, I will answer there, not here. Follow the rules.

Hook them on to your roof with enough money to get 30% performance from them, then have them fail a less than 2 years, rip them off, and replace.

Hi - I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the best way to mount flexible solar panels (MiaSole CIGS panels) to an RV TPO Roof?

- My panels don't have adhesive, what do you recommend? Eternabond around the edges? Roll-on adhesive or peel-and-stick to the bottom? I'd prefer to not drill any holes in my roof
- Flush mounted to the roof or did you use a corrugated plastic sheet or something else for airflow? If flush, how is the performance in the heat?

Would love to see pics if possible, thanks!

Mounting flex panels directly to the roof and how it will effect panel output and longevity I think has a lot to do with the type of roof and conditions you’ll be in.

You have a TPU roof. I don’t know much about them. Light colors are best to reflect heat.

As to conditions, if you intend to spend time in extreme heat, you’ll likely get very limited lifespan with flex panels. But extreme heat, I mean places like Arizona or inland California in summer, where daily highs get to 100-120F on a regular basis.

By contrast, we have some cheapo WindyNation flex panels that are thriving 6 years later. They are mounted directly to the wood roof (painted light color) of our camp trailer. We travel almost exclusively in the northern USA, temps usually no higher than 100-105F. The wood roof provides some insulation (vs a metal roof of a van) as I would suspect a TPU roof would as well. Also, our roof also spends much of the year under cover, so it doesn’t get 24/7/365 beating upon via the elements.

If you DO intend to go with flexibles, I highly recommend the Sunpower 100W ones. Much beefier than any other brand (other than the military grade ones that start at $700). I like them a lot and will replace the two WindyNation ones with them when that time comes. They’re only a few dollars more, too, about $35 difference.

Still... he basically turned a flexible panel into a rigid panel... more $, more labor...

Our main desire for flex vs rigid is the low profile look. You can’t see the flexible panels on our artisan camper. Rigid panels would destroy that look. As well to increase wind resistance. I wish someone would make super low profile rigid panels. But those would be a niche market and more expensive.

Our main desire for flex vs rigid is the low profile look. You can’t see the flexible panels on our artisan camper. Rigid panels would destroy that look. As well to increase wind resistance. I wish someone would make super low profile rigid panels. But those would be a niche market and more expensive.
Windy Nation did make low profile 100 watt rigid panels. Frames were about 3/4" thick. I have 6. Can't find them any more.

Back