diy solar

diy solar

CATL to mass produce 500 Wh/kg batteries this year

Freep

Solar Enthusiast
CATL has announced plans to manufacture batteries with almost twice the capacity of the batteries used by Tesla. This will enable the electrification of aircraft. While this isn't as energy dense as the lithium air batteries which have been developed and achieve 4 times the energy density of LiFePo4 batteries, it does mean higher densities will be available this year.

This is huge. I have been mulling over getting rid of the generator in my truck camper and adding a new battery pack, now I'm wondering if I should wait a year or two and make the pack from these new CATL batteries.

CATL has announced plans to manufacture batteries with almost twice the capacity of the batteries used by Tesla. This will enable the electrification of aircraft. While this isn't as energy dense as the lithium air batteries which have been developed and achieve 4 times the energy density of LiFePo4 batteries, it does mean higher densities will be available this year.

This is huge. I have been mulling over getting rid of the generator in my truck camper and adding a new battery pack, now I'm wondering if I should wait a year or two and make the pack from these new CATL batteries.
more like wait a year of 10

CATL says they're going into mass production this year, so they will be available. The only question in my mind is, how much of a premium will I have to pay for them?
lifepo4 had been in mass production for 8 years before they became available and afordable to the diy community

If this new development leads to a flood of good quality used LiFePO4 cells hitting the market at bargain basement prices in the next few years then it will be welcome indeed. I very much doubt though that the new technology cells will be affordable (or indeed needed) in the diy solar storage market.

If this new development leads to a flood of good quality used LiFePO4 cells hitting the market at bargain basement prices in the next few years then it will be welcome indeed. I very much doubt though that the new technology cells will be affordable (or indeed needed) in the diy solar storage market.
"Needed" depends on the application. For mobile applications, space and weight are at a premium and the higher the energy storage density, the better.

"Needed" depends on the application. For mobile applications, space and weight are at a premium and the higher the energy storage density, the better.
Sure, I agree - there will always be niche applications where the benefit of a certain characteristic justifies the added expense, but I was really referring to the mainstream mass market.

Back