diy solar

diy solar

Cell fault error at pBMS

pnifon

Hello there. New at forum and at Solar power systems. I had installed 6600 watt panels and a SRNE inverter at my home and they are working like a charm. Unfortunately I'm encountering problems with my 200ma li ion LifePO4 L16 battery. Battery alarm led is blinking and battery doesn't give power. Unfortunately from where I bought it I got scammed and he is accusing me for the malfunctioning. Did some research of my own cause I didn't want to throw away a battery that easy. I got pbms tools installed on my laptop, connected to battery and I noticed at fault section it was reporting "Cell fault". Also I noticed that all the cells were charged around 3338 mv except cell 16 which is stuck at 3375 mv. Does this mean cell 16 is faulty? Do I need to replace it? Do I need to find a way to discharge it to match the other cells? I have no idea what to do what tools to use. I'm sharing a screenshot of real-time monitoring tab of the pbms tools to get some idea what I'm talking about. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• pbms realtime monitor.jpg
    pbms realtime monitor.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you can, change the CELL over voltage value to something like 3500mv to 3600mv, that would be under the parameters tab.

For LifeP04, typically its OK to have as high as 3600mv, here is a screen capture for reference of what I'm using to give you an idea ( different tool / battery )

7-20-2024 6-13-25 PM.jpg

Last edited:
If you can, change the CELL over voltage value to something like 3500mv to 3600mv, that would be under the

If you can, change the CELL over voltage value to something like 3500mv to 3600mv, that would be under the parameters tab.

For LifeP04, typically its OK to have as high as 3600mv, here is a screen capture for reference of what I'm using to give you an idea ( different tool / battery )

View attachment 230037
Sorry I misread the values. The cell isn't over voltage. I'll edit the question. I'm sharing the parameters page. Which for some reason I can't edit even though I put the password in. The cell fault is not due overvoltage. Any ideas?

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2
That looks OK though the release of 3.38V is what is keeping the battery offline. If you can, under switch control click on the DSG button to enable the output and apply a load and it should release the fault condition within a minute or two.

Next time you charge, keep the tool open to see what pack voltage is causing the trip in the first place.

For passwords, you need the one that will allow changing values in the parameter page, if you look at mine the release is significantly higher than yours which is well below the 100% SOC and that's your primary issue. Typically most bms have cell balancer's and they would automatically bring down a high cell within a few minutes.

Also, it shouldn't disable the discharge, again that would likely be in your parameter page some where

This thread might help on the password, it is located in a db file that one can read in a text editor

Last edited:
That looks OK though the release of 3.38V is what is keeping the battery offline. If you can, under switch control click on the DSG button to enable the output and apply a load and it should release the fault condition within a minute or two.

Next time you charge, keep the tool open to see what pack voltage is causing the trip in the first place.

For passwords, you need the one that will allow changing values in the parameter page, if you look at mine the release is significantly higher than yours which is well below the 100% SOC and that's your primary issue. Typically most bms have cell balancer's and they would automatically bring down a high cell within a few minutes.

Also, it shouldn't disable the discharge, again that would likely be in your parameter page some where
3375 that cell 16 has is lower than 3380 release value. Battery shouldn't be offline for that reason. Once a cell is lower than 3380 is supposed to be released anyway. I didn't disable discharge. It's blinking on and off along with cell fault error. I can't toggle either charge or discharge for some reason. The other switches I can. It seems that bms disabled the charge and discharge cause of the cell fault error

If you look at the setting, its only two digits to the right of the decimal place, 3.375 is actually 3.38 when rounded

If your tool has a history tab, that may show what trigger the fault, looking at the second image you would have had to hit 3.7V on a cell to knock the battery offline. This could happen if your using overly aggressive charging current or pack voltage pushing that pack voltage to high ( inverter setting if not closed communications )

Find the admin password ( read the content in the link I posted ), set the thresholds much higher for the release and you should be all set.

If you look at the setting, its only two digits to the right of the decimal place, 3.375 is actually 3.38 when rounded

If your tool has a history tab, that may show what trigger the fault, looking at the second image you would have had to hit 3.7V on a cell to knock the battery offline. This could happen if your using overly aggressive charging current or pack voltage pushing that pack voltage to high ( inverter setting if not closed communications )

Find the admin password ( read the content in the link I posted ), set the thresholds much higher for the release and you should be all set.
That post says password is 123456. I ve already put that password in and it's correct. I got out read only mode. Is it possible that there are more than one password?

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back