diy solar

diy solar

Changing from AGM lead acid batteries to Lithium

DPCabin

I built a small 600W system using Will Prouse' website 5 years ago for my off-grid cabin. I used 4 100AH AGM lead acid batteries that now need replacing. I'm thinking about 4 LiFePO batteries. I'm a novice and am not sure that is a good idea. My 5 year old MPPT charge controller has a 1030W max and I'm at 900W solar power. Will it work ok with Li batteries? If not, any suggestions on a new CC would be appreciated. I just installed a 3000W Giandel Inverter anticipating upgrading to a bit more power. Thanks!

If you are considering battery and inverter replacement now, then it's definitely a good time to go 48v.

1 Lifepower4 and 1 EG4 3k are probably a good fit if you're currently running ok on a 3000w with 100Ah AGM's.

For 48v you want 48v batteries, not 12v batteries in series. Putting them in series is a headache and they can't balance.

If you are considering battery and inverter replacement now, then it's definitely a good time to go 48v.

1 Lifepower4 and 1 EG4 3k are probably a good fit if you're currently running ok on a 3000w with 100Ah AGM's.

For 48v you want 48v batteries, not 12v batteries in series. Putting them in series is a headache and they can't balance.
Thanks for your suggestion but I already bought the 24V inverter about a year ago so no option for 48V. My question then is still what kind of batteries will work on my small system. I can call SunGold or some other vendor but was hoping to get some ideas from this forum.

Thanks for your suggestion but I already bought the 24V inverter about a year ago so no option for 48V. My question then is still what kind of batteries will work on my small system. I can call SunGold or some other vendor but was hoping to get some ideas from this forum.

There are lots of 24V LFP options, and that would be preferred over 2S 12V in series. Will has several favorite brands, and any are as good as another.

Much lead-acid hardware can be used for LFP. It really just depends on what you have. As an example, an Outback FM80 MPPT does not state LFP compatibility or have a LFP setting, but it can be programmed satisfactorily to safely work with LFP.

The size of your array and MPPT are only a factor in establishing how much energy you can generate and use daily. LFP batteries can accept a wide range of charge current up to 0.5C (50% of capacity, e.g., 50A on a 100Ah battery).

I expect your hardware doesn't have low temperature charging protections, so if the batteries may experience freezing temps, it is important that you choose batteries that will protect themselves at freezing temperatures OR heat themselves to stay above freezing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back