diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller separate or one built in to inverter?

I used to have a 30 panel p.v. system with 2 X 80 amp Outback chargers, a 7.5 kv inverter and 16 X 6volt l.a. batteries. When the l.a. batteries failed I switched to lifepo 20KW storage from OP Solar and used the 2x80 amp Outback chargers to manage charging my new batteries I have now had the lithium for 19 months and everything is going well. I am now planning a new system for my new residence. I note that the current offerings of inverters generally describe that mppt chargers are built in to inverters. Is it better to still have separate chargers i.e. the Outback 80 amp chargers or use the built in mppt chargers in the inverters?

I prefer the AIO.
It's more efficient to turn the PV production straight into AC output.
Only the excess is put through the double conversion.

It's hard to beat the price on the all in one inverters, the install time is also much faster. Some all in one's have high idle draw, check the specs before you buy, it can be really detrimental off grid.
The new midnite all on one inverter is field serviceable but most all in one inverters are not. If 1 part breaks your whole system could be down while it gets repaired. Having Separate components could have a benefit if something breaks.
I have 2 inverters and 3 charge controllers but I am off grid with no utilities to save me when something breaks.

Don't disagree with comments above but I built my off-grid system 7 years ago when AIOs weren't so popular and did individual components. This has served me well as I've expanded / changed things.

For example, I have 3 x Midnite Classic 150 charge controllers and I'm adding a 4th because I overplanneled the 3 x Midnites as I grew the PV but this caused my wiring to get very warm in summer (up to 60C). By adding a 4th Midnite I can lower amps/temps overall. This is not something I anticipated in the early years and it's because I added more and more PV and overplanneled that it gradually came to my attention. By having individual charge controllers, it's relatively easy to add the 4th.

Another example, as I grew I added a 2nd inverter to go from 12,000w to 24,000w and again, it was OK for me as I could concentrate on adding inverter power without disturbing the rest of the system too much. However, the efficiency point is a consideration as I run ~82.5% overall (Consumption / PV input) which means I loose ~3,000kwh / year of PV.

I think AIO or individual components both have + and - and it's dependent on you're overall situation and mindset of how you like to work and perhaps some efficiency.

Heck, you can have both - nothing says you have to do one or the other :)

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back