diy solar

diy solar

Need batteries in a pinch, or possibly a VFX3648 Outback Inverter 3600W

Arlene303

Batteries read 43.5 volts last night on our 48V system, shuts off at 42v per spec, ouch, help we've lived off grid a mile from nearest public utility for over 13 years, we might need new batteries now instead of waiting until summer !! Husband dragged the gas generator outside last night in 14" snowstorm, hooked it up, and the Outback Inverter gave a new different fault and would not charge from gas generator, couldn't figure it out. He thought that broke the Outback Inverter after 13 years but alas the sun came up this morning and system charged fully again 100% by 1pm, normally by 11am. But My husband got up every hour last night to stoke 2 fireplaces, and shut off our pumps to glycol in floor heating, because our batteries were so low. This happened 2 weeks ago with the same magic 42 volts threshold as expected. We've had the glycol in floor heating for 3 years installed with our new 1300 sq foot additional reconstruction project, and before that lived happily off grid with this Outback inverter for 13 years. We are in Woodland Park, Colorado.

Should we just buy new batteries? Think we need a backup inverter for 3 months of same exact 3600W Outback inverter VFX3648? What about our FlexMax 80 MPPT Charge Controller (not 60) ? Or did we simply undersize batteries for this new glycol floor heating, planning for 3 days of overcast grey snow skies in reality is giving 1 day of power?

Our 48v lead acid battery system of 16 batteries, all 6V, is made from 2 packs of 8 batteries... we added 8 more batteries a year after 1st pack of 8 batteries, when we installed new 1300sq ft addition to our mountain house with glycol in floor heating (we also have propane), but pumps run on electric:
Eight 4 yr old 370Ah Solar batteries 6V DEKA MK 8L16 to make 48V.
Eight 3 yr old 390Ah Crown batteries 6V L16 deep cycle batteries to make 48V.

Our 12 solar panels, half bought in 2011, half bought in 2014, consist of:
Six 240W 2011 panels 30.4V peak, 7.9A peak, 8.4A short circuit, 3 panels in series, 2 strings in parallel.
Six 250W 2014 panels, wired same way as above.

Darn I wanted to buy two 6000XPs this summer in brand new system with brand new batteries, adding more solar panels too, maybe 10-20 additional solar panels, but I'm afraid husband will call original sellers Backwoods Solar in Idaho tomorrow and they'll talk him into expensive system. Nice people but expensive. Isn't Outback system hard to find parts these days? They are nice people who sell Magnum, Midnite, Outback, Samlex, Schneider and Victron.

Husband dug tractor out from sliding on 14" of icy wet concrete like snow, so he isn't in a 'typing' mood but exhausted and sleeping. Many thanks, and stay warm!

Last edited:
Are your batteries someplace that stays above 40F? (Or can be made to stay well above freezing?).

If so I would highly recommend looking at the rack mounted Lithium batteries. You will need to adjust the charge settings on everything. I don’t know your equipment (I use Victron in my MotorHome and love it)!

Good Luck

Are your batteries someplace that stays above 40F? (Or can be made to stay well above freezing?).

If so I would highly recommend looking at the rack mounted Lithium batteries. You will need to adjust the charge settings on everything. I don’t know your equipment (I use Victron in my MotorHome and love it)!

Good Luck
Thanks. Yes we'll replace our existing lead acid batteries with lithium, maybe six EG4 LLs in a rack or Trophy? Our mechanical room is heated with propane so for 13 years we've never had a problem with our lead acid batteries. However, if the propane system went down it'd be bad, so considering Trophy batteries rated for cold temp with internal heater. Amazon sells heating pad to set batteries on for RVs and Camper Vans, and while we haven't needed this in 13 years, perhaps that could be a nice safety backup ? This morning I've just asked Signature Solar if I can set the EG4 100Ah 48V LL or LiFePower4 batteries on a heating pad and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully the heating pad would never need to be turned on in 13 years, just like a repeat of the past 13 years, but nice just in case cause they are $38. Our existing lead acid battery box with fan to exhaust H2 gas won't be needed with lithium batteries, since H2 gas doesn't expel from lithium batteries. But maybe the box can be repurposed as an insulation box in case the power goes out, so that the heating pads' heat could be better retained. Or do the new lithium batteries thrive better in an EG4 rack with airflow around them?

I would not add electric heaters to your battery room (or battery bank). Lithium batteries can be discharged below zero (F), they just cannot be charged. I would have a propane heater backup for that room - test it every fall. (But then … electric heaters don’t cost much it might be nice too).

(Just make sure your system can’t charge if the batteries are too cold).

you will love the Lithium batteries.

Good Luck

Yes, thanks for reminder that lithium can be discharged below zero F, they just cannot be charged. Yes we'll keep our propane heat in mechanical room the same as it has been for last 13 years, no change needed. Was just thinking if something catastrophic happened to the propane heat (highly unlikely, never happened in 13 years), then add heat pads directly under the batteries, inside the battery box, that would NEVER come on, except in case of emergency. Not even cycle on 1x/day. Hmm, maybe cycle one on with excess energy when batteries hit 100% at noon... but probably not cause we'll design another dissipating heat load in our upgrade this summer when we add a wind turbine. Maybe test heat pads inside battery box 2x a year.

Turns out heat pads on amazon are for car batteries. I swear 2 months ago I saw folks using them in their house batteries of their RVs/camper vans, anyone know which product they are using?

Last edited:
Stupid different temperature gauges- they mess with my brain… 😫

Lithium’s can be discharged below 32F or 0C - just not charged. I messed up above- but hopefully you knew what I meant.

Back