diy solar

diy solar

3X10kW lifepo4 Greensun Solar batteries & Hybrid Inverter - NEED UPGRADE

RB5Jonny

Hi All

First time using this forum, Over in Belfast, N.Ireland

2 years ago i purchased a kit from Alibaba and took my Garage off-grid (lights, Dryer & Washing machine)

• 48v 5kW Hybrid Inverter
  • 3 X 10kW LifePO4 Batteries
  • 48v 450w Solar panels (3kW on West roof)

I installed it with a 3kW solar string on my West garage roof (I know this is not ideal but all i had available at the time) and all worked fine until Winter and the short nights.

Recently I have been experiencing erratic battery SOC i think being caused by the lack of full charging due to lack of daylight hours.

I have been plugging the mains into my AC input connection and charging the batteries. I need to install another string or 2 of PV panels this summer to increase my production over the dark winter months

I need advice on the below points
  • I would like to upgrade to a system that can be programmed to charge my batteries at night from the Inverter / Mains. (Cheap tarif)
  • I would also like to upgrade to a system to power my house, i think i will need to loose the 5kw inverter and change for 6-10kw
  • I would like a system with good minoring app available

IMG-20230630-WA0010.jpg1704975334268.jpg

Last edited:
My questions are

• I would like to upgrade to a system that can be programmed to charge my batteries at night from the Inverter / Mains. (Cheap tarif)
  • I would also like to upgrade to a system to power my house, i think i will need to loose the 5kw inverter and change for 6-10kw
  • I would like a system with good minoring app available
Welcome.

Sorry if I'm having a blonde moment, but I see 3 requirements but no questions. :unsure:

Are you looking for suggestions for new inverter and monitoring system? If so, I'm very happy with my Solis grid-tied inverters and use emonPi for monitoring. Others on here seem to highly rate Synsunk/Deye inverters and use HA for monitoring.

Nice / neat looking install, btw :)

Further thought - what temp are the batteries at? That could be a reason they are not fully charging - i.e. if they are restricting themselves due to being less than 10C or so.

Another thought... do you drive a scooby? If so... (y)... we had one years ago, not an RB5 though, sadly ;)

Hi SeaGal

Yes i had a RB5 back in the day, should have never sold it. Still have a 08 STI to drive.

Yes i need some suggestions for new inverter / mppt kit to upgrade to and give me more control on what is happening along with remote AC charging to capture the cheap night rate.

You could be correct with the temps as my garage is rarely above 10c in winter. Any suggestions ? Diesel heater ?

Yes i had a RB5 back in the day
Wonderful!

along with remote AC charging to capture the cheap night rate.
I do that with my Solis, but does require custom software development ?‍?

You could be correct with the temps as my garage is rarely above 10c in winter. Any suggestions ? Diesel heater ?
Many of us on here, me included, have added some insulation around the battery (mine are DIY, so around cells in my case), e.g. 50mm of PIR or similar and some temp-controlled heating system. My garage was -2 this am, but cells were around 22C. That's with 21W heater on about 30%-50% of the time.

Numerous threads on that on here, like these...

Last edited:
Cheers, i will need to look at protecting the battery a bit better.

I was mainly looking at Growatt or Victron stuff to replace my current inverter, i have read they both offer night time charging.

Writing scripts is beyond me.

Back