diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller settings?

Austinbriggs123

I was looking and I couldn’t just find a direct answer. I have a 24v 200amp hour bank with 2 12v lifepo4 and charging with a 60a mppt cc so
I’ve decided to try and do a 75% charge and set the float at 25% charge from my research that seems to be a sweet spot for usability but also longevity of my battery’s what would the voltage readings be for that? What would the formula be to solve this?

I’ve decided to try and do a 75% charge and set the float at 25% charge from my research that seems to be a sweet spot for usability but also longevity of my battery’s what would the voltage readings be for that? What would the formula be to solve this?
It depends on what you mean by "75% charge"? If you mean at a current that is 75 % of the maximum recomended then the math is simple. For example charging a 200 Ahr battery which has a recommended charge rate of 0.5C you will only get to 60% when the 60 Amp charge controller is at max.

It depends on what you mean by "75% charge"? If you mean at a current that is 75 % of the maximum recomended then the math is simple. For example charging a 200 Ahr battery which has a recommended charge rate of 0.5C you will only get to 60% when the 60 Amp charge controller is at max
I guess that OP means he wants to manage his battery bandwidth to stay within the knees.
@Austinbriggs123 am I correct?
yes

Go to one of the one of the voltage charts and pick a voltage that roughly corresponds to 75% SOC. Probably around 3.4 volts per cell as the Constant Voltage ( often called Absorb) setting.

Last edited:
I just don’t want to over charge or over discharge my battery they can get costly haha
Do you have a low voltage disconnect other than the battery bms?
If yes, set that to 3.0 volts per cell or higher.
For the charge side you can get your battery full with ~3.45 volts per cell.
The finesse part is charge termination.
Depends on your charger's capabilities, battery details and usage model.
I suggest filling your battery when you charge it.
I also suggest not leaving the battery full.
If you provide more details we can maybe tailor our advice.

Last edited:
Discharge is OK, and easy to implement, just set protection so it prevents discharge below 25.8 volts.

Forget all this stuff about charging to 70%, its not practical. Consider instead a policy of charging at a current less than 0.5C, with a charger target voltage as low as practical, whilst being adequate for passive balancing to occur if needed.
Any voltage over 3.4 volts per cell will given time charge to almost full, (27.2 volts).
To charge within a practical time frame use charge target volts of ideally 27.6 to 28 volts and stop charging when the target is reached. Any float set should be related to the desired rest voltage of the battery, 26.8 to rest near full, and 26.6 for somewhere around 70%. The charger used may need a 're boost' setting that restarts the charge to target once the battery has been discharged.
With a pre built battery or a diy battery with cells that tend to go 'out of balance' its probable that its required to spend some time with the battery on charge, at a voltage above that where balancing takes place, this will be typically above 27.2 volts. This may need the target volts higher at 28.4 ( or slightly higher), together with a absorption duration or boost duration where the voltage is held constant.
There is a second requirement to charge to 'full' to avoid memory effect that will occur if the battery is short cycled continuously, ( leads to an effective reduction in capacity). A full charge cycle removes this effect.

A good policy for many applications is to charge the battery and use it, recharging when it gets 'low'.

Having the battery at a very high state of charge, or a low state of charge, for long periods, is considered to reduce battery life.

Note that there are considerable changes in all areas of performance with lithium batteries with small changes in voltages. Thus the calibration accuracy on equipment should be taken into account when evaluating the system.

Mike

Do you have a low voltage disconnect other than the battery bms?
If yes, set that to 3.0 volts per cell or higher.
For the charge side you can get your battery full with ~3.45 volts per cell.
The finesse part is charge termination.
Depends on your charger's capabilities, battery details and usage model.
I suggest filling your battery when you charge it.
I also suggest not leaving the battery full.
If you provide more details we can maybe tailor our advice.
I’m new to this but there will always be a draw of power for my situation at night it won’t be as much but there will still be something pulling power. Probably 30w per hour or so and in summer months when I need to run a fan probably another 150w or so. I just don’t want to ruin my battery’s and would like to get a lot of life from them

there will still be something pulling power. Probably 30w per hour or so and in summer months when I need to run a fan probably another 150w
That's good it will prevent the batteries sitting around full. Your actual charging strategy will depend on your application and use. 60 amps at 24 volts sounds like 1500 watts of panels. Is your application static or mobile and what is your daily expected power use? What batteries and controller?

Mike

Back