diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller sparks every time i hook it up

Withered+Flame

Every time i hook up my makeskyblue 60 amp solar charge controller to my 250 amp dally bms it sparks. The bms turns on and everything seems ok, but i heard that sparking is bad.

I have tried pre charging it with a resistor to no avail. The machine shuts off seconds later and then sparks again.

Is this intended behavior?
What do i do to stop it?

The charge controller and battery seem to tollerate it, with no warning tripping from the bms and no breaking from either one.

Edit:
Will it make a spark when connecting panels too? How to stop that?

Last edited:
Every time i hook up my makeskyblue 60 amp solar charge controller to my 250 amp dally bms it sparks. The bms turns on and everything seems ok, but i heard that sparking is bad.

I have tried pre charging it with a resistor to no avail. The machine shuts off seconds later and then sparks again.

What do i do to stop it?

The charge controller and battery seem to tollerate it, with no warning tripping from the bms and no breaking from either one.
You need to make the connection WHILE the resister is also touching. Sometimes the caps bleed down quick. I use a test light matched for voltage with a clamp on one end and the point on the other. Its handy.

If you can access the BMS controls. Turn off discharge while connecting.

Don't wire things to a live circuit? Battery shouldn't be connected while wiring things to it. The spark is bits of metal and or ionized air.

Use a switch which is designed to take the inrush current, or a solid state relay.

Esp if like you have solar power going through the charger already.

You need to make the connection WHILE the resister is also touching. Sometimes the caps bleed down quick. I use a test light matched for voltage with a clamp on one end and the point on the other. Its handy.

Don't wire things to a live circuit? Battery shouldn't be connected while wiring things to it. The spark is bits of metal and or ionized air.
But isnt wiring solar panels to a charge controller without a battery a bad idea? Something about burning out the charge controller?

But isnt wiring solar panels to a charge controller without a battery a bad idea? Something about burning out the charge controller?
I can't get a straight answer from Renogy. I see conflicting information online. Some information says it's because open circuit solar voltage raises higher due to no voltage drop because no current draw, and it can go above the input voltage limit. Others say it's just to program the battery type initially, and that loss of battery power is normal, ie shutting down for moving a trailer. I have a thread on it here.

A solid state relay could disconnect solar if no batteries are present. But why not just leave the whole setup connected?

Perhaps leaving the controller connected continually would be useful. Having the battery disconnected whilst you still have panels connected may end badly.

I can't get a straight answer from Renogy. I see conflicting information online. Some information says it's because open circuit solar voltage raises higher due to no voltage drop because no current draw, and it can go above the input voltage limit. Others say it's just to program the battery type initially, and that loss of battery power is normal, ie shutting down for moving a trailer. I have a thread on it here.

A solid state relay could disconnect solar if no batteries are present. But why not just leave the whole setup connected?
Just now hooking everything up, will do with just one spark. Will cover panels with tarp before connecting

Perhaps leaving the controller connected continually would be useful. Having the battery disconnected whilst you still have panels connected may end badly.
Just now hooking everything up, will do with just one spark. Will cover panels with tarp before connecting them as well

There are capacitors in the MSB so it would spark. You should be using breakers on the solar and battery cables.

You need to connect battery to the controller first so it can detect battery voltage. You can then disconnect but I have found that doing so with a high solar input can generate the magic smoke. I've managed to kill 3 MSB's.

Or wait to the dark of night to connect solar panels to charge controller. Having a DC rated appropriately switch or breaker between panels and charge controller makes life easier and less dramatic.

What do i do to stop it?

Edit:
Spark is ok on first connections. It’s alive

Do you not have breakers or atleast a disconnect switch between your solar panels and charge controller? What if you need to turn it off during the day? Just pull out a live high voltage cable? That's crazy.

Back