diy solar

diy solar

Charge/inverter controller has temperature sensor to avoid charging when freezing

k490

Solar Enthusiast
Right now, I'm using a Epever charge controller for my shed I want to replace it with an off grid inverter charger checked some none of them have a sensor, or a place to connect one like my Epever does. Does anyone know of a brand I need about 3000 watts I could go as high as 5000 watts.

I know BSM supposed to cutoff the charging when freezing but I don't trust these cheap 12V standalone batteries have a good BMS in them.

You're replacing a MPPT with an inverter/charger? No more PV?

Or are you looking for an AiO?

Victron inverter/chargers at firmware 494 and up provide low temperature charge protection with an attached sensor or temperature broadcast to the system from a GX device.

Victron MPPT with a smart battery sense, BMV-712 or smartshunt with temp sensor in a VE.Smart network will provide low temperature charge protection?

What I'm wanting to do is replace my Epever AN80 and standalone inverter with an all-in-one charger / inverter. My Epever takes care of the low temp cut off although in Phoenix we have a few days below 30F if it happens at all, but sometimes in December and January it does. I did see Epever does sell an inverter / charger with the temp cut off I might go with that. I'm assuming all the other brands just rely on BMS communication to tell the charger to shut down which means have to buy the brand they suggest like EG-4 along with their server rack batteries.

I did look at the Victron but seemed really convoluted having to buy all these extra parts just to get that feature. I can only assume the reason is BMS communication is what most companies rely on for this feature.

I'm in Mesa, so I'm familiar with the weather.

Yep. BMS comms are how it's primarily done. I have a Batrium that tells my Victron stuff what to do. It's up past Show Low, so it gets plenty cold. We were in the high 20's last night.

Actually, I found Epever charger / inverter does have the same feature it cuts off at 0C. I may just replace what I have with one of those. I'm only trying to run a small 5000 BTU window AC unit in the summer to keep things in a shed around 88F. I found out last year when we hit 115-119F AC unit was drawing 1000 watts of power. I should have known better when I saw the specs of 380W that was taken when it was 80F outside.

I had to rule out the Epever the MPPT voltage is too low only about 250 volts I would like 500V I plan on using over 400 watt panels. I will probably end up with using a BMS to figure out the low temp cut-off.

Last edited:
Back