diy solar

diy solar

Charger for 48V 100Ah LiFePo4 battery pack

ThreeDotOneFour

Hi everybody,

I'm planning to make a 100Ah 16 cell LiFePo4 battery pack. I have a 16s LiFePo4 charger, which can output 10A (with cc/cv mode). Obviously the charge rate will be slower which is fine for me, however, I was wondering whether the charger could handle a battery of 100Ah. The place where I bought it online shows no max battery capacity rating, only it the title it says 'for 20-50Ah LiFePo4 battery'. Is this really a max capacity of battery the charger could handle or is it just an example of what type of battery sizes it cóuld handle. Previously I never thought a battery charger could only charge batteries up to a specific capacity. Is it true that the charger I have is fine with charging higher capacity batteries?

It's fine. It will just take 10 hours to charge it from empty, which is about the same as charging a lead-acid battery. LFP is capable of higher charge rates (typically up to 0.5C), so that's what gets promoted. Their recommendation is for 0.2-0.5C charge rates, which makes it 2-5X faster than lead-acid.

They wouldn't look as good if they were making LFP charge times take just as long as lead-acid. :)

It's fine. It will just take 10 hours to charge it from empty, which is about the same as charging a lead-acid battery. LFP is capable of higher charge rates (typically up to 0.5C), so that's what gets promoted. Their recommendation is for 0.2-0.5C charge rates, which makes it 2-5X faster than lead-acid.

They wouldn't look as good if they were making LFP charge times take just as long as lead-acid. :)
Alright thank you very much!

Back