diy solar

diy solar

Chargers going into float for no reason

Dicko

I have an ITech ac 40 amp charger and an Enerdrive ac 40 amp charger. Whilst charging up my ITech 120 lithium batteries I find that the chargers (both of them and not used at the same time) will go into float after only delivering about 30 a/h into the batteries. This happens all the time. Cables are 6b&s, so more than capable of handling amperage. Connections are tight and clean. I put the positive directly onto battery and the negative onto the "B" side of the shunt so I can read the amperage going in. This happens on both my single battery and the 2 I have in parallel. Any ideas would be most welcome. Cheers from Oz.

I have this happen on my converter in my motorhome. After I read the manual the converter will bulk charge 14.6v for upto 4 hours then it will switch to float 13.6v. So if I deplete my battery more then the charger can recharge it switches to bulk without 100% charging it. I have to cycle the converter to get it to finish.

Maybe that's what is happening with yours.

I have this happen on my converter in my motorhome. After I read the manual the converter will bulk charge 14.6v for upto 4 hours then it will switch to float 13.6v. So if I deplete my battery more then the charger can recharge it switches to bulk without 100% charging it. I have to cycle the converter to get it to finish.

Maybe that's what is happening with yours.
Mines only getting about an hours charge in it (both chargers).. Seems strange. I,m wondering if the 350amp shunt could possibly be an issue. Never had this issue with any of my multitude of AGM batteries over the decades.

Does turning the off and back on make them bulk charge. Again?

If not maybe the cells in your battery need rebalanced.

The shunt will have no effect. It just a known value that the voltage drop across it increases with current and the meter measure that voltage and gives the current value. The voltage drop across it is milli volts.

Does turning the off and back on make them bulk charge. Again?

If not maybe the cells in your battery need rebalanced.

The shunt will have no effect. It just a known value that the voltage drop across it increases with current and the meter measure that voltage and gives the current value. The voltage drop across it is milli volts.
Yes . If I disconnect either charger totally (battery leads and 240v a/c leads) it resumes charging. (240v..Australian power ).

Back