diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 100W Chinese Solar panels: Experiences with Ecoworthy and Xinpuguang

gehowi

XINPUGUANG brand:
In 2019 I bought 12 X 100W Solarpanels from Aliexpress / XINPUGUANG. Dealer is ok, neat product, well packed, 75$/pc.
These panels have cells with 2 wires (busbars), only 1 bypass diode. Some crimped cables became loose in the junctionbox. I soldered them all.

I got 1200W in March 2019, as advertised. But 3 months later the max power was reduced; during summer I got only 800W max.
The reason was a very narrow shadow from a top of a tree that covered only one cell at a time. This shadowed cell heats up quickly, the EVA plastic on the back melts slightly and the cell shorts. As the shadow shifts to the next cell, this damage as well. When several cells get damaged, the panel current decreases and becomes too low to damage further cells.
After replacing the bad panels the problem started again because of higher power.

Xinpuguang accepted the arguments that 1 bypass diode does not help at all to protect the panel from shadows. They replaced 2 panels for free but it does not solve the basic problem; still have other damaged panels. So 20% power loss in 1 year is a bad investment.

Conclusion: Xinpuguang is a seller with some responsibility but the product should be improved.

Selfmade panels from glass and soldered cells
I also have 10 self made glass panels with 36 bigger cells/panel and 5 busbars/cell. They delivered 800W from the start to now. (3 years)
They have 2 bypass diodes per panel and are shadowed every day. Panels are way to heavy but very decent.

ECOWORTHY brand:
I just ordered 12 Solar panels with 5 busbar cells from ECOWORTHY.

In a chat I wrote they should only deliver 5 busbars. But still they sent cheap 2 busbar cells.
The price was 690€ for >10pcs but I had to pay 72€/pc and did not get any payback.

The wires are marked 4.00 mm² but they are only thick plastic, the copper is less than 2.5mm.
The package is so so, panel assembly is poor, some alu frames are distorted and output does not reach 100W (tested with electronic load )
It looks like there is only one EVA film on the back and not on the front of the cells. So moisture may get into cells or the cells may crack later.

After long chats + arrogant and impossible solutions I disputed 20% on all of them. (still pending)

As soon as I said I would give 1 star, they set the product as "not available" so no one look to comments anymore. Common trick for cheating sellers.

Please, do not waste your money with ECOWORTHY. Nothing good there.

Attachments

• Pic 2 busbars delivered.JPG
    Pic 2 busbars delivered.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I dont underatand. 800w is not that good but its not that bad either. Its 66% with that many panels and that much wiring its real close to normal. Pretty much any and every brand Ive ever owned has output about 70-75% typical.

800w is not that good but its not that bad either.
When new panels are rated 100W and deliver that power in bright sun at normal ambient temperature then it must deliver the same output 1 year later in the same conditions. Losing 20% after 10 years is normal, not after 1 year. My panels with 5 busbars did not loose any power in 3 years.

Its pretty unusual, though possible once in a while, for any panel to produce 100% of its rated wattage. Just the simple fact of ohms law alone. If you have lead batteries and a large bank youre likely to be in current limit mode by high noon.

I dont know where this plethora of people on here have come from expecting 100% ouput from panels, but its very well known for a very long time youre not going to see that 99% of the time.

I own everything from sunpower to kyocera to ecoworthy to newpowa. Theyre all about the same.

Last edited:
Its highly unusual, though possible, for any panel to produce 100% of its rated wattage.
Of course during the year the conditions are usually not optimal and it's normal to get less power.
But I compare with my other panels; so if these deliver max power, the others should also deliver max.

Back