diy solar

diy solar

China is urging families to stock up on food as supply challenges multiply

Recent news said Korea was short of urea for diesel exhaust fluid?

Does that cause the engine to stop running?? or just increase emissions? Is the problem the engine control unit is programmed to shut off?
If so, a software fix would avert a national emergency.

I'll bet the system doesn't chemically analyze what's in the DEF tank. But it does have some measurement of what's in exhaust. Most cars just read O2, anything else these days, especially for diesels that use DEF?

Diesel exhaust fluid is a very minor use for urea.. most of it probably goes to fertilizer or is used to make other materials.

Urea can also be made at home from your own pee easily enough.

The only citizens left behind wanted to stay in Afghanistan.
Ok here we go.... There are pockets of "Trapped" citizens in some areas that the Taliban blocked. One of my terps made it out but his family is trapped over there. They may get out if the Taliban don't find them first. We abandoned a lot of people who did great work for us and this was no way to repay them !The pull out was reckless at best! The administration and joint chiefs KNEW if they surrendered Bagram before they evaced KAF they would be screwing them over. If this wasn't the case, Lt. Col. Stu Scheller wouldn't be getting court martialed for speaking out about it!
All war is chaotic, why would this be any different?
This is different because we know the players and know the game. We have years of intel that dictates both the enemies and the regular peoples patterns of life (POL). That's what makes it different. The administration knew what would happen if we didnt secure the MSR and EVAC from Baghram.
There was 20 years to prepare to leave.... eventually the band-aid needs to be ripped off.
I didn't know you attended war college... Or perhaps a member of the RAND corp? Advisor? Yeah none of the above....
We could have been there another 20 years preparing to leave with the same result.
Not the same result.... a responsible draw down and lingering units like IRAQ is what should have happened, at least from the those in charge of the AOR.
Biden succeeded here where Bush, Obama (2x) and trump failed.
Succeeded?! Are you F*n kidding me? We had our finger on the pulse of the bad guys and knew all their move to a 97% accuracy... now that's all gone. No more surveillance, no more HUMIT intel, no more nothing! So when the next 911 happens because these a** clowns were left to their own devices all for a deplorable money grab... own it! Because you supported it!

Last edited:
We would still be in Korea & Vietnam with that thinking.

3000 died in 9-11. 7000 died in the resulting war. How do you reconcile that?

If we had all that intel, POL etc why was it chaotic? 20 more years would have been none better.

Why do the republicans decry spending a few $$ in out own country and love to spend 2.3 trillion in Iraq-Afghanistan wars?

Yes succeeded in getting us out. I am glad for it.

The money grab was all in the corruption of Afghanistan. Those contractors were paid well and had security for 20 years. Russia failed in Afghanistan before us, our effort was near worthless, let Xi go in for the next couple decades. Good luck.

Right or wrong, better or worse, happy to be out.

We would still be in Korea & Vietnam with that thinking.
Which is precisely why we are in Japan, South Korea, Germany, Kuwait and on and on.
3000 died in 9-11. 7000 died in the resulting war. How do you reconcile that?
It's not about reconciliation of deaths... it's about being a superpower.
If we had all that intel, POL etc why was it chaotic? 20 more years would have been none better.
Because we pulled the plug "on purpose" knowing the outcome uncle Joe denied publicly.
Why do the republicans decry spending a few $$ in out own country and love to spend 2.3 trillion in Iraq-Afghanistan wars?
Because it takes away from our R&D, out advancement in technology, and our overall ability to be the best in the world. Technology costs... and if were not spending on it, we lose our ability to defend ourselves as a nation.
Yes succeeded in getting us out. I am glad for it.
Botched... period.
The money grab was all in the corruption of Afghanistan.
The "pay offs" were infinitesimal in comparison to bringing our forces into the 21st century.
Those contractors were paid well and had security for 20 years. Russia failed in Afghanistan before us, our effort was near worthless, let Xi go in for the next couple decades. Good luck.
Again, our "effort" brought our forces into the 21st century. Before this war, there was not 1 piece of ground force equipment that could take a 300LB IED and have the occupants walk away from it. That's only 1 example....
Right or wrong, better or worse, happy to be out.
I am not stating what I feel. I am stating what is based on being there.
IMHO you don't know enough about it to draw a factual conclusion. Of course your entitled to your opinion... as uninformed and without merit as it is. Long live 1A...?

Which is precisely why we are in Japan, South Korea, Germany, Kuwait and on and on.
After 75 years I am ready to start drawing those down also. Unless the hosting country starts paying the full cost of all personnel, equipment and facilities.
Domestic programs will not bankrupt the country. The foreign perpetual wars are doing it. The history of Rome is repeating itself.

After 75 years I am ready to start drawing those down also. Unless the hosting country starts paying the full cost of all personnel, equipment and facilities.
Domestic programs will not bankrupt the country. The foreign perpetual wars are doing it. The history of Rome is repeating itself.
Typical... wanting to enjoy ALL the benefits of a 1st world country... but not willing to accept or participate in all the nastiness it takes to BE that country. Then have the audacity to chastise those who do. Freedom isn't free... Hell... even your uncle Joe was in the situation room with BO when we were dropping on Pakistan... and he sure didn't look depressed. Just know your hero don't share your same values. "Good Luck"

Last edited:
Big difference between those countries and Afghanistan. We stayed in countries where it was strategically and financially in our interest to stay. Also those are countries where our troops are not being shot at or in in danger of being blown up everyday.
It's not about reconciliation of deaths... it's about being a superpower.
I get your point but I think they also got the point a long time ago. We were long past a major war with the Taliban and have been mostly engaged in Nation building for the last 10 years.
Because we pulled the plug "on purpose" knowing the outcome uncle Joe denied publicly.
It was Trump that pulled the plug!
Because it takes away from our R&D, out advancement in technology, and our overall ability to be the best in the world. Technology costs... and if were not spending on it, we lose our ability to defend ourselves as a nation.
Seriously! So you think that in order to advance R&D we have to get into a war every decade?
Botched... period.
Nope there was really no better way of doing it. We had prepared them for this and armed them to protect themselves. We told them we believed in them and their ability to stand up as a nation and survive. So after that did you expect us to close down the Embassy, fly out the staff and then evacuate every American Citizen and then take away any advance weapon that the Afghan army had?
I think that move would have had created an immediate panic and sent a clear message to the Afghan people that they are doomed. The only screw up in the withdrawal was that no one could have predicted how spineless the Afghan military and Government was. If they had actually engaged the Taliban instead of surrendering instantly we would have been able to send back in air support and beaten the Taliban back or at the least bought several months of time to evacuate the people who wanted to leave. I understand your argument is that we should have never left. I just don't agree that we should be propping up nations forever.

The "pay offs" were infinitesimal in comparison to bringing our forces into the 21st century.
Our forces are already in the 21st Century and way ahead of any other country. Your argument may apply to the training and combat experience of troops but the technology is always advancing, war or no war.
Again, our "effort" brought our forces into the 21st century. Before this war, there was not 1 piece of ground force equipment that could take a 300LB IED and have the occupants walk away from it. That's only 1 example....
Yes and before Nam we had no way to quickly deforest miles of land. Every war is Unique in some ways and what was designed for one war may not be needed for the next. We certainly did not need Agent Orange V2 in Afghanistan.

I am not stating what I feel. I am stating what is based on being there.
IMHO you don't know enough about it to draw a factual conclusion. Of course your entitled to your opinion... as uninformed and without merit as it is. Long live 1A...?

Anyway Thank you for your service. I get your anger, but this was never going to end any other way. If anything the way the Afghan military bellied up it shows that they had just become completely dependent on us for their survival.

Last edited:
Big difference between those countries and Afghanistan. We stayed in countries where it was strategically and financially in our interest to stay. Also in countries where our troops are not being shot at or in in danger of being blown up everyday.
Financially it was not in our best interests. Hohenfels GE was the only base to actually make money because we charged European Allies to train with us there. We pay "rent" for all bases we occupy. We are in those countries because of strategic first response ability.
I get your point but I think they also got the point a long time ago. We were long past a major war with the Taliban and have been mostly engaged in Nation building for the last 10 years.
I don't know where you get your information from, but I know first hand that's not true. I know we were engaged until the day we left. USAID failed back in 2010. I spoke with several on their team. ODA was sent out to various districts to recruit ALP which almost always ended in catastrophe. Shaking down farmers, kidnapping allies, burning down cell towers, shooting 105 rockets, VBIEDing check points. You really have no idea what your talking about.
It was Trump that pulled the plug!
Yeahhhh... I don't think so. Baghram was the exit strategy... C5 Galaxies were the exit strategy... not KAF!
Seriously! So you think that in order to advance R&D we have to get into a war every decade?
Absolutely! If you knew how funding worked then you would probably understand. The normal process in peace time takes 10 to 20 years to advance technology. The Pentagon (and Washington) only release funds for R&D to meet mission criticalities in war time and other than war time contingencies. So I don't "think" I know. Sorry you don't like it, but under our bureaucracy (congress yadda yadda) that's what it takes for R2 funding. Trust me, that's not changing anytime soon.
Nope there was really no better way of doing it. We had prepared them for this and armed them to protect themselves. We told them we believed in them and their ability to stand up as a nation and survive. So after that did you expect us to close down the Embassy, fly out the staff and then evacuate every American Citizen and then take away any advance weapon that the Afghan army had?
There was a very good way of doing it. I thought I explained that already. We told them squat... there is no sense of "nationality" or "patriotism" except for a choice few. That's what you get when you have a Mosque on every corner instead of a school. We KNEW they couldn't stand on their own. Training by all accounts met less than 39% of expectations.
I think that move would have had created an immediate panic and sent a clear message to the Afghan people that they are doomed. The only screw up in the withdrawal was that no one could have predicted how spineless the Afghan military and Government was.
I already explained this. They knew. There's a big difference between spineless and unprepared.
If they had actually engaged the Taliban instead of surrendering instantly we would have been able to send back in air support and beaten the Taliban back or at the least bought several months of time to evacuate the people who wanted to leave. I understand your argument is that we should have never left. I just don't agree that we should be propping up nations forever.
Impossible to "beat the Taliban back" when you boxed in (like in KAF) and have to worry about collateral damage. ROE had to be completely impossible by that point. We should have had a "nominal" presence.
Our forces are already in the 21st Century and way ahead of any other country. Your argument may apply to the training and combat experience of troops but the technology is always advancing, war or no war.
Not true...we went into this war with 1984 HMMWV's We came out with IED proof vehicles ran by 7 computers with cell phone blocking DUKE systems accompanied with GYROCAMS that can see 22AWG wire 10 miles out and digitally overlay terrain, we got guys out of the turrets and replaced them with CROW 2 systems, we got microphone technology that triangulates point of fire and return fire on vehicles and on and on and on...
Yes and before Nam we had no way to quickly deforest miles of land. Every war is Unique in some ways and what was designed for one war may not be needed for the next. We certainly did not need Agent Orange V2 in Afghanistan.
No Orange because there was barely any foliage plus the UN frowns on that. We did however utilize Hellfire's with pin point precision flown remotely from halfway around the world.
Anyway Thank you for your service. I get your anger, but this was never going to end any other way. If anything the way the Afghan military bellied up it shows that they had just become completely dependent on us for their survival.
I appreciate it, I'm not angry. More like frustrated because there is so much hidden from the public and they don't make it easy to understand how and why they do things they do.

Last edited:
Still working on getting US citizens out that actually want to leave....

Every US citizen who wants out of Afghanistan offered departure, State Department says​

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/every-us-citizen-wants-afghanistan-100105823.html
The US citizens there remind me of the people needing to be rescued from their roofs when a hurricane rolls through.. after they were told to leave a week ahead of time, they were warned of the dangerous, they knew the dangers, but still refuse to act.

They don't want to listen and they procrastinate under dangerous conditions... let Darwin sort them out.

We need to remove warning labels from products too.. What would happen if someone used shampoo without wetting their hair first? Or the label on the shower cap that says "fits one head only"..

The US citizens there remind me of the people needing to be rescued from their roofs when a hurricane rolls through.. after they were told to leave a week ahead of time, they were warned of the dangerous, they knew the dangers, but still refuse to act.
Will always remind me of the cartoon of the man at the pearly gates: Why did you not save me from the flood he pleads... I sent an officer to warn you, sent a small boat to take you to safety, then you waved off the helicopter..... what else could be done?

Back