diy solar

diy solar

CHINS 200Ah LiFePO4 battery test/review

Red hat, did you replace the BMS in these CHINS? If so, can you provide me with some info. I have 2 300 amp units and am thinking it would be best to replace the BMS. You're thoughts? Thanks...
Deleted non sense.

Last edited:
Is it possible to replace the BMS in these batteries?
I don't see why not, they are the same batteries (basically) apart from brand name and maybe cosmetics. Will took one apart, they looked the same as any other battery purchased individually but in a case neatly packaged. The BMS looks as any other. Comments? There is a part of this comment that got my attention. Low voltage cutoff protection. Can you comment on this? I noticed during the bottom balance routine I use that 2 batteries were lower I can't remember the voltages exactly but they were low 9v, maybe within specs but after I charged them up all the voltages were exactly the same, I got 8 Chins 100ah each in series parallel for 48v. So far and after everyday usage I checked the voltage of each and they are exactly the same, so I'm pretty happy with those results, but that low voltage cutoff got me thinking, I'll have to check next time they get discharged, I do have the Growatt low voltage cutoff for 46.4v IAW the manufacturer recommendations. Since the Growatt can't monitor the Chins batteries (SOC) it can read the voltage though. I have to rely on a Victron Smart Shunt to monitor the batteries SOC.

Don't overcharge them. I have the 300ah one. The BMS does somewhat protect the pack but some cells will push 3.7v and they will be unbalanced. I haven't tried to run my battery dry yet. The BMS on mine is bluetooth and can be configured.

Hello. I have the LAF12200 CHINS 200Ah battery that supposedly has a BMS and supports bluetooth connectivity. I cannot connect to it. I do have it connected to a solar charge controller. I do not have the manual that came with it. I have contacted CHINS for a week now. They are asking for a serial number or barcode from the box it came in. I did not keep that. I am able to charge it with a LiFePO4 'trickle charger' to get it full. I was able to charge it yesterday via the sun. I was about to connect a load to it - small 60 watt DC - just to test the battery. I have a shunt and two of the LED meters that display volts, amps, power, and energy that Will recommends. Everything is connected up correctly.

Before I get too far along in my solar project (off grid office with just one computer and 2 LED lights), I want to make sure I can verify what the BMS is set to or doing.

Should I post a new thread for this request, or is this the appropriate place for a CHINS 200 Ah battery? New in town.

Back