diy solar

diy solar

Clarification on chargery

dudeinthewoods

I've seen a few things discussed in different locations. I just did some testing so I'll clarify and hope this helps.

I've got a chargery 16T BMS
I'm running a 48v setup.

The relay output voltage is 12v on my 48v setup. I had read somewhere it outputs at system voltage. Not true.

The docs (that I read) said it should be voltage in so it seems some if not all their docs floating around are wrong.

Are you using the newest version of the manual?

I have the BMS8T and everything I see in the manual clearly says that the relay outputs are 12V.

Can you reference a specific manual and page # where you are seeing this?

On the 16t/24t v1.13 page 5

I'm not sure other places that I saw it but it's one of the top google results if you search the manual.

They fixed it in at least the 4.1v but I'm just throwing this out there if someone gets conflicting answers like I did and wasn't sure.

Obviously in front of you just test it but if someone is planning ahead.

I'm having an issue right now though where the charge side but not the discharge side isn't outputting even though it's in the range. Not sure what to do about that. Any thoughts?

Maybe take some screen pics from the Chargery showing the cell and pack voltages and screen pictures of how the paramaters are set.

I just did the ol' unplug and plug it back in not thinking there's anyway in hell that should fix it and it did...

It would have made sense if neither side worked but to fix just one side. Weird. I'll take it though.

I just did the ol' unplug and plug it back in not thinking there's anyway in hell that should fix it and it did...

It would have made sense if neither side worked but to fix just one side. Weird. I'll take it though.
What is the amp draw of the relays you are using .... some have had problems caused by relays with a higher current draw.

They're 500a relays, not sure on the draw to keep it closed. I got them from @Craig.

Also it just decided to shut off again I spoke too soon.

I was using the same relay on the charge side effectively though. Weird it would work on one not the other.

The Chargery BMS' output 12V/3A max for both relays which is to actuate the coil in the relays.
Your Diff of Cell Voltage is 40mV but on your first screen, it is showing 240mV difference between cells.

Here is the Draft Owners Manual 4.1 I sent to Jason @ Chargery. This is the BMS8T Manual but the BMS16 is the same pretty much. Note that this is for the latest 4.0 Firmware. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/l...mb-counter-and-display-maybe.9356/post-101795

Update files located here: https://chargery.com/update.asp

The Chargery BMS' output 12V/3A max for both relays which is to actuate the coil in the relays.
Your Diff of Cell Voltage is 40mV but on your first screen, it is showing 240mV difference between cells.

Here is the Draft Owners Manual 4.1 I sent to Jason @ Chargery. This is the BMS8T Manual but the BMS16 is the same pretty much. Note that this is for the latest 4.0 Firmware. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/l...mb-counter-and-display-maybe.9356/post-101795

Update files located here: https://chargery.com/update.asp

Thanks Steve,

The cell diff being too high shouldn't affect the relay correct?

I agree it's way off but my volt meter / active balancer are showing numbers much closer together which is another issue.

I understand the 12v/3a to actuate the relays. I had seen someone else confused and read in the older manual which came up first on Google that it was Vin.

Based on those two pics though shouldn't the relay be working (closed / output 12v)?

That is a cell difference protect number. If you have 240 mv you should probably set it to 300. Will had the same issue when he was testing the Chargery and had a seriously imbalanced pack.

Ok I'll crank it up.
I was trying to bring them in balance instead haha.

My AB / multi shows them within about 6mv which is a hell of a lot better. What the BMS thinks is going to matter though.

If you select the balance paramater ... set ... you will get another menu to allow you to set up the balancing.

If you select the balance paramater ... set ... you will get another menu to allow you to set up the balancing.

Correct I've done that.

Weird it's still not outputting 12v now it's not out putting to either and both should be good / in range to go.

It outputs 12v for about 10 sec when it boots then not again.

Thanks again for your help on this Steve

My bet is the 12-volt charge signal output is dropping below (in my case dropped to 2 volts when activated) Disconnect the relay and see if ya have a 12-volt signal output.

Craig you're the man.

I had pulled the temp (why it was showing zero) and that killed it. I plugged it in and it looks good.

Going to wire it all in now. I don't want to blow out the relay by the 160v PV coming in so going to just crank my float/absorb down to 54v shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to everyone.

My bet is the 12-volt charge signal output is dropping below (in my case dropped to 2 volts when activated) Disconnect the relay and see if ya have a 12-volt signal output.

I did check that and it was basically zero.
Temp sender did it.

Craig you're the man.

I had pulled the temp (why it was showing zero) and that killed it. I plugged it in and it looks good.

Going to wire it all in now. I don't want to blow out the relay by the 160v PV coming in so going to just crank my float/absorb down to 54v shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to everyone.
good to know

diy solar

diy solar
Back