diy solar

diy solar

Classic 400 Watt Solar question - cable size and shunt cable size??

Horwatas

I purchased most items from the classic 400 watt solar from Will's site and I didn't think it would be this tough to set it up! I have the 2200 pure sine inverter (comes with 2 gauge cables) and in his video when he hooks the 2 gauge cables from inverter to battery. My batteries are about 2 feet away from the inverter. Do I need 2 gauge from inverter to battery? Also, he mentions the shunt but doesn't show how to hook it up. What size cables from the battery to the shunt? I have tried Googling this but I just wish he had a video as in depth as the beginners guide. Any videos on the shunt that are helpful? Thanks in advance!

I purchased most items from the classic 400 watt solar from Will's site and I didn't think it would be this tough to set it up! I have the 2200 pure sine inverter (comes with 2 gauge cables) and in his video when he hooks the 2 gauge cables from inverter to battery. My batteries are about 2 feet away from the inverter. Do I need 2 gauge from inverter to battery?

Wires are sized based on:

Current
Distance

A 1" cable must be able to handle the current.

Also, he mentions the shunt but doesn't show how to hook it up. What size cables from the battery to the shunt? I have tried Googling this but I just wish he had a video as in depth as the beginners guide. Any videos on the shunt that are helpful? Thanks in advance!

If you need a certain gauge, you need it in all parts of the given circuit.

2200W/12V/.85 = 215A = you must select cables that can handle 215A

These help?

Wires are sized based on:

Current
Distance

A 1" cable must be able to handle the current.

If you need a certain gauge, you need it in all parts of the given circuit.

2200W/12V/.85 = 215A = you must select cables that can handle 215A

These help?

I purchased two 200ah lithium batteries that he suggests on the site but wasn’t sure the wiring size from the battery to the inverter and the battery to the victron energy smart shunt IP65 500 amp battery monitor. I tried following his videos on set up but wasn’t sure what gauge he used from inverter to battery. He didn’t show the shunt set up in that video either :(

Your calculation does help. Sounds like I need 4 awg? In his video (at 23:25 -https://youtu.be/IRRKHYwB3Uo?si=F_tY4b719H2NIYts) he says 2 gauge cable with 175 amp fuse on the negative

That's a 1500W inverter in that video. You have a 2200W.

1500W/12V/.85 = 147A. Some 2awg can handle than. 175A fuse is reasonable, but general rule is 1.25X wire rating rounding up to the nearest common size.

4awg handles less current than 2awg.

You likely need at least marine grade 2/0 and maybe 3/0 or 4/0.

Shunt is just a device in the main circuit... Battery (-) terminal to shunt battery terminal, then the (-) of all other devices on the other side of the shunt. Your shunt should have a wiring diagram.

1694393067592.png

Back