diy solar

diy solar

Cleaning solar panels with hard water

OM617YOTA

Solar Enthusiast
How do you folks with hard water clean your solar panels? Between pollen, ash from field burning, and combine dust, cleaning the panels can give nearly 10% increase in output after only a couple days. The issue is that my well water is pretty crunchy, and leaving hard water deposits on the panels after cleaning.

Would a soft bristle brush or cloth work to brush the panels, without water? Is there a way to soften or demineralize small quantities of water, economically and easily? Is my best bet to just use a towel and dry off the panels? My leaf blower didn't do an effective job.

Right now the panels are mounted straight up, with no tilt. I need to tilt them a bit for better sun usage, but that would also help with water drainage.

We use a diluted vinegar solution to clean most things inside and outside our house. 1:4 dilution

If hard water stains get bad enough, then we use citric acid. Mix into a paste, spread on, wait a few minutes then rinse off. Citric acid is more expensive than vinegar but much better at chewing hard water stains than straight vinegar. You can buy it in bulk online for the best price.

FYI, these are mild acids but even still they could be harsh on your panels, especially if they’re old and have leaking seals. Maybe test on a single panel first.

I bought this back on June 11th, I've easily ran 30 gallons through it (all off solar power of course). My well water is very hard also.
I normally just let the rain clean my panels but might have to climb up on the roofs this weekend to give them a shine and see if there is a big difference.
I did fill the wiper reservoir on my truck with distilled (for summer only) and I swear my windshield has never been cleaner.
VEVOR 1.1 Gal Water Distiller, 0.3 Gal/H, Distilled Water Maker Machine 750W 0-99H Timing Set Temp Display, 304 Stainless Steel Countertop Distiller Glass Carafe Cleaning Powder 3 Carbon Packs, Silver https://a.co/d/fUvYaLs

Ps my pickles I made with fresh garden cucumbers and water from said distiller I've been snacking on while typing this are freaking delicious. Makes me want to add growing them through winter, with solar power, to the list of veggies I already chose.

Edit - I paid 89.99, the price is down ? $3 at the time of posting.

Last edited:
Back