diy solar

diy solar

Cleaning handprints off new panels (sunscreen or lotion)

T0@D68

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge shared within these halls. I've embarked on a small but important project and in true cart before horse fashion needed to purchase panels before everything else to meet a shipping/moving deadline.

Today I purchased two brand new 400w Q Cell panels from CED Greentech and loaded them into our minivan. When I got home to unload and repackage them for long-term shipping (deployed overseas and going by sea container out to post to eventually get installed on an overland camper roof) I discovered that me and/or my wife had left significant oily hand print deposits all along the edges of the panel surface. I had had sunscreen on my hands much earlier in the day when getting the kiddos ready to go outside, and my wife had put some hand lotion on approx. 2 hours before we picked up the panels.

I tried just water first unsuccessfully. I then tried a light amount of Windex which was immediately wiped off with clean non-abrasive paper towel. I've used full bucket loads of water and a strong-ish jet of hose water as well, all to no avail. It's dark now so pictures don't show the issue well, but I'll try to capture the problem in the morning.

Please help a newb rescue his new panels. And oh yeah, I've got to get them dropped off at the shippers early tomorrow afternoon and fly out of the country for at least 6 months on Friday ;-)!

Last edited:
Dish washing liquid or car shampoo in water should do the trick, use a sponge. Rinse off with the hose, light spray, no pressure.

Panels are a lot more resilient than many think, just glass and aluminium, the vitals are hermetically sealed inside.

Back