diy solar

diy solar

Code-Free Outdoor Electrical Enclosures?

HighDesertOffgrid

Solar Addict
I think the title sums it up well. But to clarify, I don't care about NEC, rules, regulations, or UL listing. I'm looking for reasonable alternative solutions for a weather resistant metal box to house a small system.
I am electrifying three small B&B type cottages.
If you can relate, what innovative ideas have you found?
Below was my solution a couple years back. I got it on sale and still paid too much for a metal box.

Attachments

• 20220122_121407.jpg
    20220122_121407.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 31
Home Depot has several Job boxes but I found the Trinity as the cheapest it seems with either a 36 inch wide or a 45 inch wide. The 36 retails at ~$200 and the 45 at ~$300 Might be an idea since it would be similar to your Rigid one pictured.

Attachments

• 1705521847298.png
    1705521847298.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 3
Home Depot has several Job boxes but I found the Trinity as the cheapest it seems with either a 36 inch wide or a 45 inch wide. The 36 retails at ~$200 and the 45 at ~$300 Might be an idea since it would be similar to your Rigid one pictured.
I was looking at those very ones. They are ship-to-store in my area which gives me pause. Shipping damage (Ace Ventura style) is becoming the norm for me.

I was looking at those very ones. They are ship-to-store in my area which gives me pause. Shipping damage (Ace Ventura style) is becoming the norm for me.
Ship to store is much better than ship to home you do not have to take it if there is damage that you cannot take and Home Depot has a good return policy.

If you want to get fancy with one of those Job boxes you could cut out panels on the front side and create doors. A plasma cutter ought make it fairly easy. Add some hinges and a frame to make a seal and it would simplify installing your components into the box.

Very nice but I bet it costs a bit more. Looks like a portable* work station.

* If you have a fork lift.

I think the title sums it up well. But to clarify, I don't care about NEC, rules, regulations, or UL listing. I'm looking for reasonable alternative solutions for a weather resistant metal box to house a small system.
I am electrifying three small B&B type cottages.
If you can relate, what innovative ideas have you found?
Below was my solution a couple years back. I got it on sale and still paid too much for a metal box.
Not sure if you've ever been to a metal scrap yard but they get lots of different things in there and will probably get what you need eventually, and soon. I have recently given them "incentive tips" (aka bribes) to keep an eye out and pull aside certain types of metal I've needed. They will help. They like money too.
Then, take a load of scrap to the yard and unload what you brought and load what they saved. Make sure that your load is more than what you take or you will owe them some money. I'm in Lancaster and the yards up here get a lot of odds and ends brought in that I have "traded" for. They are in business to make money so as long as they come out ahead, even if it's just by a few dollars, they are game.

Back