diy solar

diy solar

Component selection for a tiny solar build

TutenStain

Hello,
I have a small homelab (a few computers/servers running 24/7 I am toying with and learning stuff) which draws around 350W. I already have a smallish solar system professionally installed (13x400w panels) but wanted to install another tiny but DIY system to "offset" the constant 350W usage from the computers. I realize that there will not be any return of investment etc, but I am doing this to learn and thinker with (which I enjoy). Thus, I am looking into an all-in-one inverter which can:
  • Work batteryless if possible (but support battery)
  • Blend PV with AC from grid to "lower my consumption".
  • Since this will be running 24/7 and I have read that some inverters can draw a lot at times, one that is "energy efficient".
  • Not backfeed into the grid
  • Works on 230V
I have looked at MPP Solar and some Growatt ones such as SPF 3000TL LVM-ES. Any other I should consider? Is some of the inverters clearly better than the others? I have also read a bit about grounding but that seems to be a complex topic. So if there are any recommendations here too that would be appreciated. Or should I look elsewhere and not do an all-in-one system?

I believe victron makes a aio for euro market they have half of the self consumption rate that a mpp or growatt has but they will cost 3x more as far as batteryless I wouldn’t use one myself unless it was a very specific application the possibility of power going on and off often is hard on equipment imo

You are going to need a battery or power station and you can't run a computer off solar panels.

I would recommend 600 watts to 1Kw solar and a larger power station like the Ecoflow or Geneverse with UPS.

You could use a 200Ah LFP battery that has about the same capacity and then you need an MMPT controller and a good pure sine wave inverter.

Cheaper to go the battery route but a powers station can be recharged from your AC and has many ports for other uses. You can also expand those power stations with extra batteries if needed.

I believe victron makes a aio for euro market they have half of the self consumption rate that a mpp or growatt has but they will cost 3x more as far as batteryless I wouldn’t use one myself unless it was a very specific application the possibility of power going on and off often is hard on equipment imo

I will take a look, thanks

You are going to need a battery or power station and you can't run a computer off solar panels.

I would recommend 600 watts to 1Kw solar and a larger power station like the Ecoflow or Geneverse with UPS.

You could use a 200Ah LFP battery that has about the same capacity and then you need an MMPT controller and a good pure sine wave inverter.

Cheaper to go the battery route but a powers station can be recharged from your AC and has many ports for other uses. You can also expand those power stations with extra batteries if needed.

Can you elaborate? My plan was to blend solar with AC grid. During day I would let it be powered by the PV and at times when there is not enough input (say night or clouds etc) let it run on grid (or a combination of grid + solar). Having a battery would be great to reduce my dependence on the grid at night, but I would still not count that as a requirement. All in one units like Ecoflow sounds nice but I am not in love with the fact that the battery is integrated into the unit itself.

The second option you mentioned with battery route and a separate sine converter + controller, how would I blend grid AC with solar when solar is not enough?

I will take a look, thanks

Can you elaborate? My plan was to blend solar with AC grid. During day I would let it be powered by the PV and at times when there is not enough input (say night or clouds etc) let it run on grid (or a combination of grid + solar). Having a battery would be great to reduce my dependence on the grid at night, but I would still not count that as a requirement. All in one units like Ecoflow sounds nice but I am not in love with the fact that the battery is integrated into the unit itself.

The second option you mentioned with battery route and a separate sine converter + controller, how would I blend grid AC with solar when solar is not enough?
The only way to "blend" using grid and an off grid system is to unplug from one and plug in to the other.

That is why I recommended a power station with UPS uninterrupted power system. That can be charged from solar or grid and if the battery get's low it just switches to grid power so fast the computer doesn't shut down.

The only way to "blend" using grid and an off grid system is to unplug from one and plug in to the other.

That is why I recommended a power station with UPS uninterrupted power system. That can be charged from solar or grid and if the battery get's low it just switches to grid power so fast the computer doesn't shut down.

I am new to this but I have to ask as the manual and marketing for Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES (as an example) says “PV and grid power the load jointly if PV energy is unsufficient.” Is think that is what I want in terms of “blending” grid + solar?

https://www.ginverter.com/upload/file/SPF_3000TL_LVM-ES_Datasheet_EN_202108.pdf

Back