diy solar

diy solar

Conduit, over, under, through Privacy fence?

andrewgh

Trying to figure out the best way to run conduit for my solar array back to the garage. I have a Vinyl privacy fence that has a post right against my house (vinyl siding)

I need to make the transition from "inside" the yard to "outside" along the house. which would be fine if we didnt have this post in the way. Id have to make the transition from PVC to rigid metal conduit if i go under the fence, there is no space behind it to run the 3/4 between the house and the post, and I think running it against the wall up the post then over, then back down is a ugly.

How have others done this? Is under the only option?

Around the post and through the fence with four conduit bodies is my amateur choice.

Possibly a technicality about not enough fastened support with that plan though. could leave a gap between the two conduit bodies to strap there maybe.

Last edited:
I would drill the post and run straight through. Looks fine on a block wall the electrician drilled on my fence. Straight shot is easier to pull also.

I would drill the post and run straight through. Looks fine on a block wall the electrician drilled on my fence. Straight shot is easier to pull also.
What do you do when you need to replace the post? Move where you put the replacement post? The posts around here where I am start to sag / move all over the place.

Typical Vinyl fence post. Literally right against the wall pressed up against the siding, its a good job but a pain
Try to take off the top cap to verify it is hollow (metal internal support?). If so, then drill through. Avoid drilling too close to the house so you don't accidentally damage the siding.

diy solar

diy solar
Back