diy solar

diy solar

Confusion on Inverter Set Up - Wiring Outlets Directly to Inverter

Beef

Greetings everyone, I am in the process of squaring away my set up and at this point I think I pretty much understand everything within the system except for one part, the AC power.

Here's my set up I am planning to run with this inverter (https://renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-w-lcd-display/)
Solar Set Up Post V3.JPG

For the most part, the AC power will be primarily used to wire 3 outlets within the van as the rest of my items will be running to the DC breaker.

I have been trying to find the proper information but I can't seem to find the answer. Can I wire my 3 outlets directly to this inverter given it has built in protection or do I need to set up an AC distribution block and then connect to the inverter? If the latter is the answer, I would wire everything to the AC panel and then run the tri cable to the AC out on the inverter?

I appreciate any insights people might be willing to share, I don't know why I can't quite grasp the inverter piece of the set up.

Thank you!

Since the output is only 16a, you could wire the receptacles directly to the inverter. I would suggest 12 gauge wire.

You may wish to include earth leakage protection at the inverter AC output. In Europe this is mandatory for a permanent install. Your local regulations may be different.
You don't have to worry about neutral to earth bonding, the Renogy unit looks after that, using the shore power bond when connected, and providing a local bond in the inverter when off grid.

Connect the AC protective earth to a local earth ( van metal/chassis) In the van. Battery negative and inverter case connect to to this local 'earth', use cable one size lower than inverter feed cables.

Mike

You may wish to include earth leakage protection at the inverter AC output. In Europe this is mandatory for a permanent install. Your local regulations may be different.
You don't have to worry about neutral to earth bonding, the Renogy unit looks after that, using the shore power bond when connected, and providing a local bond in the inverter when off grid.

Connect the AC protective earth to a local earth ( van metal/chassis) In the van. Battery negative and inverter case connect to to this local 'earth', use cable one size lower than inverter feed cables.

Mike
So something akin to this?
GFCI.JPG

Unless it is an inverter with a separate feature to hard wire, the outlets on the inverter are sharing the load between them.
So each outlet on the inverter has half the inverters capability. Using an inverter that has hardwire capabilities will supply all what you are looking to do with the other outlets.
My 2000 watt Samlex has that capability and i have it connected to my three outlets i installed in my cargo conversion. ✌️

Last edited:
And I should be able to string all 3 outlets together and then run them into the AC Out for the inverter correct?
Yes. I assume that means the inverter has a hardwire provision. If it has a GFCI outlet that will work also.

Back