diy solar

diy solar

Connecting a removed inverter in the garage with panels on roof to consumer unit.

SkylineR33

Hi all and thanks for the forum.

First post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Backaground. I have just had a new Solax x1-BOOST-G4 inverter fitted in the loft to my domestic solar install that has been there just over 10 years.

So, I now have a functioning inverter that was removed. Its a Sunny Boy 2kW inverter that has been branded as Schuko.

I now was thinking, as I have a couple of solar panels in the garage (that have been used on camper vans) would it be possible to set up these to feed into my domestic electricity.

My thoughts are to put the panels on the garage roof, connect these to the Sunny Boy inverter and then connect the ac output of the inverter to the garage consumer unit.
I already have the MC2 connectors and cable to connect the panels to the Sunny Boy, as well as the 2.5mm 3 core cable for the Sunny boy inverter (this is good for runs up to 18m according to the installation manual.

My questions is basically how I connect the ac out from the inverter into the consumer unit (it has a sockets and lighting circuits on the 2 MCB)?

This is the garage consumer unit. (it is about 10-15m from the house consumer unit).
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.59.20.png

I have a couple of solar panels in the garage (that have been used on camper vans)
They are probably not sufficient to power your Sunny boy, read the data sheet.

and then connect the ac output of the inverter to the garage consumer unit.
If both inverters are grid tied, you are risking to create severe safety issue to yourself and to grid operator. Definitely not DIY job.

What KW is the Solax, if its 3.6KW then you cannot add any more inverters without a G99 DNO approval where you have to apply in advance. If your current setup is G83 or G98 then the max installable inverter power is 3.5KW.

Old SB's have typically high PV voltage requirements before they will even think about turning on so 2 panels is not going to work.

G99 DNO approval where you have to apply in advance. If your current setup is G83 or G98 then the max installable inverter power is 3.5KW.
I think that's a minor legal issue if you wire two grid tie inverters so that they don't switch off when grid goes down.

I think that's a minor legal issue if you wire two grid tie inverters so that they don't switch off when grid goes down.
Grid-tie means they have to switch off when the grid goes down. Its not minor if they still feed the grid and the linesman is working on the line.

Grid-tie means they have to switch off when the grid goes down. Its not minor if they still feed the grid and the linesman is working on the line.
With minor I referred
G99 DNO approval where you have to apply in advance. If your current setup is G83 or G98 then the max installable inverter power is 3.5KW.
Two grid ties feeding grid on signal to each other would be Major issue...

diy solar

diy solar
Back