diy solar

diy solar

Solax Hybrid Inverter in EPS Mode Using Same Consumer Unit

lando365

Hi,

I am installing a Solax Inverter that during a grid power outage only outputs AC via EPS mode.

I have been told the way to install the consumer units for the house is to have one for normal operation which is grid tied and another which is used when in EPS mode. This is to prevent my system sending current back to the grid during the outage (in case it is being worked on).

The problem I have is this requires me to have additional sockets around the house that run off the EPS mode consumer unit ONLY and manually plug in required appliances e.g. fridge/freezer.

Is there a clever way using Automatic Transfer Switches I can use just one consumer unit and cut the incoming grid connection until the power outage is restored?

Hopefully that is clear...

Appreciate any ideas, comments.

Thanks

You don't have to add extra outlets.
Just move the circuits to the new CU.

Is there a clever way using Automatic Transfer Switches I can use just one consumer unit and cut the incoming grid connection until the power outage is restored?
Welcome!

I'm not familiar with the Solax and not a sparky but, IMHO, the issue with that configuration would be that your Solax is unlikely to be able to power all the devices running off your main CU - e.g. oven, dishwasher and kettle at same time would be over 8kW, excluding any inductive load start up draw. You would also need to consider earthing arrangements when off-grid if you are currently on a standard TN-C-S supply.

Back