diy solar

diy solar

Copper paste for high amperage connections?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
So I've been having some problems with blowing relatively high current anl fuses when my air conditioner fires up for the second cycle

I was running it by a friend of mine who does a lot of mobile installs nothing normally and quite this high of amperage but he asked if I was using any type of interface paste to which of course I was like what the heck are you talking about?

His main message said the following: "If there is heat, it's due to resistance. Not a low enough impedance connection in the fuse holder. Try using copper paste maybe."

Anybody have any comments or thoughts on this has anybody used this and it's solved their problem?

The true fix would be to get rid of ANL fuses and get a quality Class T style fuse.

EDIT: A typical RV AC is going to pull 125-150a when running, which means starting it could be up over 350a. An ANL fuse can't handle that surge current like a Class T will.

Fuses open because of high amperes.
Bad connections can cause heat, dangerous heat, and also voltage drop.
It is easy to buy poor quality ANL fuses. They are everywhere.
A quality ANL fuse will handle 300 times the rated ampere for 1 second. 200 times for 5 seconds. 150 times for almost 10 seconds.
There are also devices called soft starts that can be installed on the air conditioner that will reduce high startup surges.

I worked with 24 volt controls systems for 25 years and most of the time the fuse holder connection is the problem...but usually due to corrosion causing no current flow...

Being your replacing the fuse regularly I don't think it would be corrosion, and being your fuse is bolted in I think you need to see if there is a time delay fuse available or change format like being suggested above...

I have used copper paste for bolted + and - AGM posts. I had a hard time finding it until my mechanic friend suggested using copper based head bolt grease (automotive). It was quite inexpensive given the quantity in the bottle compared to the carbon conductive paste. Anyway after a few days I found several of the connections had loosened so I retightened them. After that they stayed tight. I presume the grease may have squeezed out i.e. "crept" resulting in the loosening. I recently purchased the carbon paste and plan to give it a try. Elemental copper appears on charts to be a lot more conductive than carbon. Any comments??

Back