diy solar

diy solar

Correct Wire for 3x 120w in Series to Renogy Rover Li 30 to 50 Ah LifePo4 battery

btc9000

Just building a System
3x120w Panels in Series with Renogy Rover Li30 with bluetooth and 50Ah LifePo4 battery

Due to been new to all this and not understanding the whole difference with AC and DC wire types

Due to how my Shared Garden set up

I have now got an enclosed Area Only I have access to
But its 25 metres away from where the Renogy is going to be.

I got some outdoor wire from B&Q in the UK ( I believe its wrong )

Panel is 6.58A and max open current is 21.8v for each panel
the Short Circuit Current is 6.97A

If I'm right thats going to be around 65.4v and 120w in series with the Amp's been under 7A

The Wire I have is 2 Core Round Flexible Cable Max Rating 240v 10A it is outdoor wire not indoor

And thats where I do not understand the difference in wire types

If I'm only running under 70v and less than 7A why is that wire no good?

I'm Only going to be using a 12v to 240v with 200w fuction and a 12v to 65w USB C car adaptor from the 50Ah LifePo4 Battery

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-7495.jpg
    IMG-7495.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If I'm right thats going to be around 65.4v and 120w in series with the Amp's been under 7A

Seems correct for volts and amps, but incorrect for watts, if you have 3 x 120w panels, you have 360w .

Series or parallel - the watts stay the same

The Wire I have is 2 Core Round Flexible Cable Max Rating 240v 10A it is outdoor wire not indoor

Thats 10amps at 240v AC , not DC ...

1mm² cable is too thin, I'd guess you'll need 4mm² but use this calculator:

Your mains cable will drop 7.7 volts over 30 m at 7 amps , or about 50 watts.
At a realistic 5 amps the volt drop is 5.5 volts, thus 25 less watts will reach the solar controler.
If this loss is acceptable I cannot see any safety issues using the 1mm2 cable.

There is perhaps the possibility of UV degradation using indoor mains flex outside. As suggested 4mm2 or 6mm2 cable is normally used and is often supplies as tails with the panels terminating in MC4 connectors

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back