Questions about series/parallel and over paneling Renogy Rover 30A SCC

Tomthumb62

Solar Wizard
Currently the system is:

Renogy Rover 30A (100V max, 400W max)
2x100W flexible mono panels flat on the roof of the camp trailer, Voc 20.79V
2x100W rigid mono panels in a portable suitcase, Voc 21.8V
all panels are currently wired in parallel

In October near 48 degrees north in full sun, the roof panels produce 1-4A and the suitcase 5-9A. So on average it's producing about 55Ah a day, which is a bit less than we're using. It would be nice to not have to run the generator if possible.

I understand the basics of over paneling and the main thing is to not exceed the rated voltage of the SCC (100V in my case). No problem. What I don't quite understand yet is how to wire them.

Ok so google can be dangerous, I just read that:

What can happen if you connect two solar panels whose voltage and power output is different? If you connect them in series: You get the sum of the voltages, at the total safe power output of the lowest one. If you connect them in parallel: You may damage the lowest voltage one.

So since all my panels are currently wired 4P, is that 1.01V difference between the roof and suitcase panels enough of a difference to be a problem (to damage the lower voltage ones)?

And I suspect my best setup would be 2s2p, since the roof ones are rarely in the shade and being flat mounted, they aren't the best producers anyways, so if partial shading happens, not a big deal.

My last question is if I wanted to add a another 100W panel to the system (which would be 100W over the SCC's rated power), then my only option would be to do 5p, is that correct? Because connecting a 40v string to a 60v string in parallel would cause damage to the 40v string, yes?

Back