diy solar

diy solar

Renogy rover 60 amp charge controller

Andre1956

Will these panels work with a Renogy Rover 60 amp charge controller to charge (2) 200 amp 12 volt lithium batteries? And if so, how many panels can I connect in parallel with this controller?
Charge controller will accept 150 volts.
Thank you, Andre.

Here are panel specs:

Cracked Vinyl Trina 230W Solar Panel
$20.00
Rated Power (Pmax): 230W
Maximum Voltage (Vmp): 29.8 V
Maximum Current (Imp): 7.78 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 37.0 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.26 A
Maximum system voltage: 600 VDC
Max Fuse Rating: 15 A

As many as you want, (in parallel) as the controller will only put through 60 amps. But to keep around 60 , 6 or 7 panels would be "under 60 amps", (6*8.25, or 7*8.26) - in SERIES though, 4 would be about the max as 5*29.8 would be too close to 150 if your weather ever drops below 77F.

Four panels in series would be too high Voltage. You need to do the voltage calculation on Voc, not Vmp. So 4 panels * 37.0V = 148V. With any temperature correction, that's going to be over the 150V limit at 25C, and definitely over the 145V limit for -25C:

1703177480673.png

As for panels in parallel, the specs indicate Max Solar Input Power of 800W for your 12V system, but unfortunately doesn't list a maximum safe Isc, which is a real limitation. The controller can only interrupt so much current, so severe overpaneling would be unsafe. Barring any other information (which I could not find), I would be cautious about over paneling, i.e., exceeding the 800W listed maximum input power.

From the Renogy Tech support:

Additionally, considering the specifications of your 230W Solar Panel (Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 37.0 V and Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.26), it's worth mentioning that you can parallel connect up to seven (7) of these panels. This allows for increased power generation and further optimization of your solar setup.

Additionally, considering the specifications of your 230W Solar Panel (Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 37.0 V and Short Circuit Current (Isc): 8.26), it's worth mentioning that you can parallel connect up to seven (7) of these panels. This allows for increased power generation and further optimization of your solar setup.
Seven panels * 8.26A = 57.8A
It would seem that the limit on total Isc might be equal to the maximum output current of the controller, 60A in this case. That aligns with the published limits for Victron's controllers. It would be nice if Renogy would include this in their specifications.

Seven panels * 8.26A = 57.8A
It would seem that the limit on total Isc might be equal to the maximum output current of the controller, 60A in this case. That aligns with the published limits for Victron's controllers. It would be nice if Renogy would include this in their specifications.
I agree They should.

Back