diy solar

diy solar

Corrosion on posts of a brand new AGM battery

DASH

Solar Enthusiast
So, I had a 12 volt AGM battery shipped to me. I noticed slight corrosion on the posts. Should this be of concern? For those of You that acquired a new AGM battery have you ever run into this? I'm enclosing a picture. Thanks for any comments You may have.

Attachments

• 12 Volt AGM Battery.jpg
    12 Volt AGM Battery.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 17
It's Always a good idea to clean the terminals before connecting. In the auto world, assemble clean and smear a small amount of petroleum jelly over the connector. Corrosion on a new battery is probably not something to worry about. For connecting different metal conductors, get some galvanic paste as a jointing compound (Duralac for instance).

Yes, I cleaned the terminals. Why I asked the question, is in theory. the AGM battery should gas very little if at all. I'm thinking the corrosion could have been caused by that, or perhaps it just happened (maybe during transport from China). I did recieve a AGM battery with perfect looking terminals but the case was damaged and the battery only read 9.2 volts. This one, when I got it, read 12.6 volts.

The corrosion is very likely to be residue acid from manufacture. As long as the case is undamaged it sounds fine. A wipe with some water with bicarbonate soda will neutralise any acid. 12.6v for a rested battery is fine. I would give it a top off charge, and then ready to use. Any gassing of sealed represents capacity loss and should nor happen with an agm charge profile.

diy solar

diy solar
Back