diy solar

diy solar

Crazy things you do with excess power

Today is the second day of good sun here in the frozen s***hole of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After the batteries were charged I was so eager to use the free excess electricity that I washed my favorite long johns days ahead of schedule.

I also put the lunch leftovers into the refrigerator steaming hot.
Heat the walk in closet with an electric heater.

Here you just can't live off grid from our climate

I'm a little more north than you. I'm off-grid. It's perfectly possible, but you have to design your house for it. Heating with alternatives like wood (modern wood gasification boiler) and some bio-diesel you make over summer for the generator in winter. My place runs in winter on average with 5kWh a day, and that's not sacrificing any comfort. With a 60kWh battery, I have 12 days of autonomy. I'm expanding to 100kWh this Spring. The only times I need the generator are November, December and January - when I run it once a week at most.

I'm a little more north than you. I'm off-grid. It's perfectly possible, but you have to design your house for it. Heating with alternatives like wood (modern wood gasification boiler) and some bio-diesel you make over summer for the generator in winter. My place runs in winter on average with 5kWh a day, and that's not sacrificing any comfort. With a 60kWh battery, I have 12 days of autonomy. I'm expanding to 100kWh this Spring. The only times I need the generator are November, December and January - when I run it once a week at most.
It's all about how many sunny days you have in winter. And designing the whole house around off-grid requirements is not accessible to many of us.

With the last 2 days being socked in weather, and today starting off with snow drifting down, it is the other side of SAD (solar affected disorder). My batteries are at 20% SOC and not long before needing supplementing. Gone are the exuberant use of electricity to be replaced with rationing the little left. My mood is as bleak as the weather outdoors.

My solar counselor when informed of my depressed state of condition is prescribing higher doses of lithium.

It's all about how many sunny days you have in winter. And designing the whole house around off-grid requirements is not accessible to many of us.
You would still get a % of power from your panels just depends on how much "excess" panels you installed. You would be in trouble however if your panels are covered in snow and you can't clear them off. Most calculations for "days of autonomy" assume zero input for all those days but if you even just cover base loads during those cloudy days you drastically increase the "days of autonomy".

My solar counselor when informed of my depressed state of condition is prescribing higher doses of lithium.
Higher doses of lithium is not a source of energy. It needs to be charged as well. And -you can count on that- you usually start long periods of snow with already depleted batteries from a few weeks of overcasted cloudy days.

Higher doses of lithium is not a source of energy. It needs to be charged as well. And -you can count on that- you usually start long periods of snow with already depleted batteries from a few weeks of overcasted cloudy days.
He’ll have sun tomorrow. NW Arkansas doesn’t get the weeks of cloudy weather like Germany. He’s just being a whiner. Pretty pathetic SAD.

Today is the second day of good sun here in the frozen s***hole of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After the batteries were charged I was so eager to use the free excess electricity that I washed my favorite long johns days ahead of schedule.

I also put the lunch leftovers into the refrigerator steaming hot.
Get a dehydrater and jerk off!

30 years ago thinking about how to use excess power I decided to produce hydrogen and burn it for cooking. I made a hydrolizer from a plastic barrel, a bucket, and some motorcycle parts. I filled a couple cheap air mattresses with hydrogen and tied them down to my fence with the idea of stacking some weights on them to force the hydrogen into my stove. It didn't work out because I couldn't get the pressure right to operate the stove but it did get the attention of my neighbors who wondered why I had floating air mattresses tied to my fence.

Is there an easy way to use surplus electric power to heat my hot water? I've got a solar tank with a single 4500W element in the top and a solar loop that preheats the bottom, and I've been contemplating an external tankless heater with circulation pump and proportional control, though there are obvious concerns about scalding if I have too much power...

but it did get the attention of my neighbors who wondered why I had floating air mattresses tied to my fence.
Oh, the humanity...
Is there an easy way to use surplus electric power to heat my hot water?
I have a smart PV diverter for our water heater. It uses excess power generated by the grid tied PV system, ramping up and down the delivery of power based on what's available. Here's an example showing our PV output (yellow), water heater consumption (red) and excess exported to the grid (purple). You can see when diverting it maintains a small level of export to the grid.

WY8v3u8.png

Once water reaches the temperature set point the thermostat controller open the water heater's contacts.

Oh, the humanity...

I have a smart PV diverter for our water heater. It uses excess power generated by the grid tied PV system, ramping up and down the delivery of power based on what's available. Here's an example showing our PV output (yellow), water heater consumption (red) and excess exported to the grid (purple). You can see when diverting it maintains a small level of export to the grid.

WY8v3u8.png

Once water reaches the temperature set point the thermostat controller open the water heater's contacts.
Ah, so you set the maximum temperature limit on the thermostat in the hot water heater, and control the power to the unit with another device? Is that diverter a COTS device or something you put together?

Ah, so you set the maximum temperature limit on the thermostat in the hot water heater, and control the power to the unit with another device? Is that diverter a COTS device or something you put together?
Yes, the tank's thermostat operates as normal.

The device I use is just one of many resistive element PV diverters available to purchase here. In my case I went with a locally made product (Catch Green) but there are several options available in this space. Some PV inverter manufacturers also have them and they integrate with the PV system (e.g. Fronius Ohm Pilot).

They are smart enough to know if/when supplemental boosting from grid power is required, although I have that disabled as I know my tank has enough capacity to ride through multiple days of poor solar PV. That said, I do have automated alert to my phone in case it's been a few days without a full heat cycle being completed, just so I can invoke an off-peak boost for legionella control.

Back