diy solar

diy solar

Cross-checking my ideas for my Battery v2 after Battery v1 Nighmare

silverstone

Solar Enthusiast
I'd like to have some cross-checking of my current ideas for my Battery v2 Project.

The Battery v1 was:
- 2x16s in Parallel
- Over designed
- Too complex
- Non modular
- Non accessible (e.g. to torque cable lugs to busbar)
- Lots of features not used
- Took 3-6 moths to build
- Super expensive

1705823554140.png

For the Battery v2 I'm looking for a MUCH more streamline design.
Always a box on wooden platform with wheels, but:
- 1x16s only - Easier to manufacturer
- No mounting plate suspended on these steel rods (see middle of the picture) - The BMS mounting is a nightmare and torquing the cable lugs on the bottom busbar is next to impossible when assembled
- Same 2 boxes "strategy" (BIG for battery cells + BMS/Fuse and SMALL for Breakers / Relays / Power Supplies)
- Eliminate the Precharge Resistor Circuit on the top of of Battery v1, already on the Inverter Side (4 x 1P Breakers saved + lots of terminal blocks/busbars not needed)
- Only 2 Mounting Plates and Pre-assembly
- Use WAGO 285-150 for EVERYTHING - Lot less of Cable Lugs to crimp etc - Costs a bit, but save lots of time
- Use the same OLD JK BMS Board (NO inverter communication - anyway the Emerson charger has no communication to the batteries)
- LF304 cells instead of LF280 cells (prefer double terminals & the studs on the LF280 are just too short :()

1705823807561.png

It might not fully easy to see, but:
- Battery cells seen from above
- Mounting plates seen from the back/front
- 1st mounting plate is internal mounting plate facing cells
- 2nd mounting plate is the additionnal box mounted on the front (left)
- Right side light gray of the bottom of the picture is the unoccupied portion of the BIG box that is NOT covered by the SMALL box (although I could at that point most likely use the full width & move the signal connectors as well).

That would be 600mm wide x 800 mm long x 400mm tall for the BIG box (excluding wheel platform) + additional 400mm wide x 210mm deep x 380mm tall for the SMALL box bolted from the front.

When looking at a more compact solution like this, I wish they would manufacture boxes in that size
1705824032764.png

Of course the width of 440mm is standard 19'' Server Rack, but the height and depth are not.
That box for instance is 440 mm wide x 720 mm long x 240 mm tall. 240mm tall is approximately 5.4u. So the next possible is 6u.

Mechanical integrity is also a requirement so of course the enclosure has to be steel, NOT aluminum.

I have approx. 4.8m of place for those batteries, so 8x600mm would be what I could fit if I use my original idea.
But if it's only 440mm wide, I could fit 4800mm/440mm = 10.9 batteries. And maybe also squeeze an 11th battery in ? .

The problem with that black box from Aliexpress and other similar (e.g. Seplon MASON) is that there is barely ANY space in front of the cells.
Yes, I could take that and bolt a custom box on the front instead of using their front panel but where could I buy / how could I build comething custom like that ???

If I think like Supermicro 2u and Supermicro 4u Cases, they could be the right size and they are built like a tank, but I need a 6u-9u case and those are more difficult to find.

So something like 6u-9u 800mm deep would be ideal. But then I need to figure out how to do cells compression & bolt another box to the front :rolleyes: .

Carrying / lifting handles would be a plus of course ...

Any ideas ?

I asked the Aliexpress seller if it was possible to buy a custom version ... But for 1 --- 10 units only it makes no sense for him :rolleyes: .

Now I'm contemplating what to do. Cells are ordered and should arrive in 2 months or so.

I'm not a fan of wood due to its (relative) flammability. Granted, not sure how much 1mm steel or so can take either.
Maybe I could do wood + fibergips to improve flammability performance at the price of a double thickness (~12mm wood + 12mm fibergips ~ 25mm walls).

And put it together with glue + steel corner profiles maybe ?

Last edited:
@upnorthandpersonal: your battery v1 was build out of wood if I recall. Do you foresee changes ? And what would you say about this second battery I'm planning (and most likely battery v1 is going to be split & retrofit with 2 steel boxes being thrown away).

@upnorthandpersonal: your battery v1 was build out of wood if I recall. Do you foresee changes ? And what would you say about this second battery I'm planning (and most likely battery v1 is going to be split & retrofit with 2 steel boxes being thrown away).

Currently they're sitting on a shelf-like thing, but they still have the wooden fixture. I don't think that will change unless I'm going to be serious about building a 1MWh container.

Currently they're sitting on a shelf-like thing, but they still have the wooden fixture. I don't think that will change unless I'm going to be serious about building a 1MWh container.
Mine are under a shelf/desk.

I don't like wood but the way the steel enclosure turned out to be (super expensive, ugly, slow to assemble/drill) is making me thing twice.

How did you put all the sides together? Glue? Brackets ? Screws / Pocket screws ?

How did you put all the sides together? Glue? Brackets ? Screws / Pocket screws ?

Screws. The original ones were made from left over building material:

20210701_171534-jpg.55043

The space on the sides is for insulation (also at the bottom). The 'frame' you see on top is the lid, that was later insulated and closed as well.

The space on the sides is for insulation (also at the bottom). The 'frame' you see on top is the lid, that was later insulated and closed as well.
So real wood basically ...

I was thinking of using plywood plate + fibergips actually but ... Don't know. Messed up my old design, don't know if with 100% different materials it's going to turn out any better.

1705951890018.png

But for sure your structure looks MUCH more robust than this one ever would be (12mm vs ... 45-50mm on your end ?).

Wood glue and brad nails/screws. Plywood walls and bottom, 2x2"s inside.
Plexi glass lid on top.
See the build thread in my signature below for pictures and details.

Wood glue and brad nails/screws. Plywood walls and bottom, 2x2"s inside.
Plexi glass lid on top.
See the build thread in my signature below for pictures and details.
Looks nice overall (y) . Here in Denmark it's usually much cooler (not as cool as in Finland though ;)).

I'm a bit concerned for the BMS and Fuse Holder heating up directly on the plywood.

That's why I'm considering to put a layer of fibergips on the inside part of the wood, to make it more fire resistant / retardant (won't be fireproof anyway).

How big did your box turn out to be ? Are the 2x2 that you added on the inside for structural integrity (to make it more "stiff") ? Or for which purpose ?

That makes my first attempt look so bad. Overexpensive, overengineered and overugly :( .

What are the dimensions, just to get an idea of the "overhead" of using such thick wooden blocks ?
I'd estimate around 500mm width from that picture, maybe slightly more.

I used plywood too. Metal re-inforced ends for the threaded rods to hold the batteries. Then plenty of space for heaters and 50mm or PIR, with outer plywood casing - the plywood is there just for protection, rather than physical support. Guess it all depends on how much space you have.

My BMS is attached to the insulated threaded rods and only reaches about 40C maximum. Am not expecting any significant heat from the fuse holder with only 100A max current.

I used plywood too. Metal re-inforced ends for the threaded rods to hold the batteries. Then plenty of space for heaters and 50mm or PIR, with outer plywood casing - the plywood is there just for protection, rather than physical support. Guess it all depends on how much space you have.

My BMS is attached to the insulated threaded rods and only reaches about 40C maximum. Am not expecting any significant heat from the fuse holder with only 100A max current.
Not sure what you mean by "ends" but I used these angled profiles where the threaded rods go through, in order to compress the cells (polycarbonate plate between this steel angled profile and the battery cells).

Is this what you meant ?

1706011375989.png

That makes my first attempt look so bad. Overexpensive, overengineered and overugly :( .

What are the dimensions, just to get an idea of the "overhead" of using such thick wooden blocks ?
I'd estimate around 500mm width from that picture, maybe slightly more.

500mm, but those are the 'studs'. It's like a skeleton/frame for a house. The paneling is on the outside of these studs, and insulation on the inside.

500mm, but those are the 'studs'. It's like a skeleton/frame for a house. The paneling is on the outside of these studs, and insulation on the inside.
So you have a plywood panel/plate on the outside of your framing ? Or you used something like

1706012272273.png

So you also will do that with your next 2 (or 4) batteries ?

Not plywood, tongue and groove leftover from the house panels on the inside walls.
Next ones will be on a shelf, same fixture (compression/rods) but the shelf makes it easier to have them stacked and still serviceable, which would not be possible with the original box design.

Not plywood, tongue and groove leftover from the house panels on the inside walls.
Next ones will be on a shelf, same fixture (compression/rods) but the shelf makes it easier to have them stacked and still serviceable, which would not be possible with the original box design.
How come the shelf makes it easier to stack?

Each battery will be on a shelf I assume, not directly stacked on top of each other, or?

You mean the will not in a wooden "box" anymore?

I thought you'd just do the same thing and put them on a shelf

Last edited:
Yes. No more box. Just shelves. Shelf can be completely closed/insulated.
OK so you're going the other way (building more strings into one big enclosure), similarly to what I did with my Battery v1.

I thought it was more space efficient, but in the end ... not really. What you gain in space you lose in accessibility IMHO.

But why do you need to insulate it ? Granted here in Denmark it's not as cold as in Finland, but at -10 ... -15°C outdoor temp my garage (well insulated except bottom concrete & front garage door) inside was sitting around +10 ... +15°C. Not optimal but well above 0°C. I also have the air conditioner for summer, which I thought I'd need to run also during winter. But the 300-400 W of permanent losses of interverts+chargers were enough to keep an acceptable temperature.

Did you use / will you use treated wood (usually green-ish, for outdoor use and insect/termite resistant) or just regular untreated wood ?

But why do you need to insulate it ?

I can't guarantee that the tech building they're in stays above 5C, but I still want to charge as much as possible. The batteries themselves are heated.

Did you use / will you use treated wood (usually green-ish, for outdoor use and insect/termite resistant) or just regular untreated wood ?

Regular. I only use treated wood when I absolutely have to (like a terrace/deck or my ground mounts for my panels).

Back