diy solar

diy solar

Crown CR-235 Oddity

N1ESE

Have a pair of fairly new Crown 6V CR-235’s wired in series for 12V. Every time I charge them up to 100% at around 12.7V (6.35V each), within a couple hours the banks voltage settles down to 12.4V (6.2V per battery). Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? 12.4V is about 80% SOC. It’s been awhile since I’ve used GC2 batteries but don’t recall this behavior before. My previous GC2’s were from Deka. Admittedly, I haven’t checked them with a hydrometer yet and relying on my multimeters.

If you want to fully charge these batteries, and they are FLAs, most chargers will charge at 14.4 - 14.7 V for several hours to do this task. This charge voltage should be meassured at the battery terminals.

There may need to be some Temp Compensation of the charge voltage.

Lead Calcium batteries may want a bit lower charge voltage.

Luke

I’m using the recommended charge voltages supplied to me by Crown:

Absorb voltage: 2.42 volts/cell (14.8v for 12 volt systems)
Float voltage: 2.25 volts/cell (13.5 for 12 volt systems)
Equalize voltage: 2.58 volts/cell (15.5 for 12 volt systems)

However, my last Absorption time was only two hours. Should I try to extend this time?

120 minutes seems to be the default for most CC's. I have had better results with 180.

Have a pair of fairly new Crown 6V CR-235’s wired in series for 12V. Every time I charge them up to 100% at around 12.7V (6.35V each), within a couple hours the banks voltage settles down to 12.4V (6.2V per battery). Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? 12.4V is about 80% SOC. It’s been awhile since I’ve used GC2 batteries but don’t recall this behavior before. My previous GC2’s were from Deka. Admittedly, I haven’t checked them with a hydrometer yet and relying on my multimeters.
My comments were made, because, from the above quote, that you had felt that 12.7V was a sufficient charge voltage to attain a full charge.

FWIW, Luke

Back