diy solar

diy solar

Custom Battery using Tesla Model 3 2170 Cells - $950

luisenriquereyes

New in stock battery box available at Big battery.com for $950

What do you think about this battery? I love the small size and that it only weighs 35 pounds.

I would purchase two of them and connect them in series for a 48V system. Would that be Ok?

Specifications

Voltage: 24V

Voltage Range: 21V – 29.4V

Capacity: 100Ah (2.4kWh)

Power (Amp): 100A Continuous, 200A Peak

Configuration: 7S 20P

Battery Type: Model 3 2170 cylindrical cells (4800mAh/cell)

Connector: Anderson SB175 Quick Connect

Length: 10.5

Width: 7

Height: 10.5

Weight: 35lbs

Thermal Protection
  • Cut off – BMS over 85°C
  • Cut off – Battery Over 75°C

I don't believe they are cells manufactured by Tesla. The 2170 form factor is the same form factor used in the Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 pack is difficult to extract the cells from. They are a more volitile chemistry (NMC) than the LFP cells. There is no guarantee you can put them in series.
It costs almost $400 per kWhr compared to DIY for $150 per kWh.

I don't believe they are cells manufactured by Tesla. The 2170 form factor is the same form factor used in the Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 pack is difficult to extract the cells from. They are a more volitile chemistry (NMC) than the LFP cells. There is no guarantee you can put them in series.

Thanks for your reply. Why would Big Battery.com advertise them as "Using Model 3 2170 Cells" ?

1594824524177.png

In my opinion, because the owner has a history of overhyping everything he sells. The capacities and the quality stated are often not what people receive. YMMV

Will Prowse should be alerted about the owner of Big Battery.com and his history of overhyping everything he sells. That way he stops receiving advertisement money from him.

Will Prowse should be alerted about the owner of Big Battery.com and his history of overhyping everything he sells.
Will is aware of that and received assurances from Eric Lundgren that he won't do it again. Google Eric Lundgren and form your own opinion from the facts. He is also on Wikipedia.

Will is aware of that and received assurances from Eric Lundgren that he won't do it again. Google Eric Lundgren and form your own opinion from the facts. He is also on Wikipedia.

I Googled Eric Lundgren and found this recent interview:

Hello @Ampster, Eric Lundgren just confirmed with me that this battery is using Tesla Model 3 2170 Cells :)

1594861123043.png

Hello @Will Prowse Pretty please let me know if this battery box is a good deal. An idea for testing and video for YouTube, please purchase or have Eric Lundgren send you at least two of them. I love the small size and weight (Length: 10.5, Width: 7, Height: 10.5, Weight: 35 lbs) of these to save on shipping costs since I would have to have them shipped to the Dominican Republic.

Eric Lundgren says in his ad that up to 8 can be connected in Parallel and up to 4 can be connected in Series. Seems like the recently tested for this since in the beginning his ad did not say this:

1595092126105.png

His mod 3 cells are rejects that do not test in spec. Mod 3 cells are much safer vs S/X cells because of binder used in cells. That said f bigbattery.com techclubdirect.com

His mod 3 cells are rejects that do not test in spec.
We would call those grade B or C cells. They may be very good quality but not the same as in my Model 3 which is garanteed for 8 years.
Mod 3 cells are much safer vs S/X cells because of binder used in cells.
Can you be more specific? The cells are rolled up sheets coated with anode and cathode material and then a coat of emulsified electrolyte is applied before they are rolled and stuffed into the cylinders. What is the binder?
When they are placed in packs they are surrounded with a fire retardant foam more thoroughly than the S or X pack construction. The form factor is different and throughout the evolution of all their packs they are tweaking both the electrolyte and the composition of the anode and cathode material. They still contain Lithium and Cobalt.
Don't get me wrong, I am a Tesla Fanboy and I drive a Model X and a Model 3 and park them in my garage. I also chose to use LFP for my stationary pack.

Im a huge Tesla fanboy as well. I gave up my burning mans building and dealing with elons art cars. I go way back pre roadster shipping. stock owner, tesla owner, and leak hunter.

3 cells are a vastly different chemical composition, and the larger size / contact reduces thermal runaway to adjacent cells. The foam expands with heat blocking out airspace.

ALL 21700 cells not meeting spec are never put into sheet, if these cells do not have signs of foam these are unmatching rejects that have been sent to a recycler.

Back