diy solar

diy solar

Damaged panel, advice please.

Whilst fitting my home made brackets, I have drilled a hole in to my new solar panel:(
I forgot to use the block of wood under the frame, and the drill bit went into the back of the glass.

It still gives a voltage, but I think this is probably due to the top part of the panel,
Is this going to cause problems, fire etc?

Do I open the box on the back of the panel, and unhook the bottom part of the panel so I can at least use half of the 445watts?
What do you think?
View attachment 109861 .

View attachment 109858

View attachment 109859

Maybe worth a try to find a local workshop that has water jet cutting and get them to precision cut the panel just below the middle main busbar, with consideration to the back diode cables cases, etc. Then run plenty of silicon on the edge to seal it. It's risky tho, never heard anyone doing anything similar so the result might not be what one would expect.

Food for thought, running a solar panel with damage to inner circuitry is a hazard, a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Food for thought, running a solar panel with damage to inner circuitry is a hazard, a disaster waiting to happen.
100% pure FUD.

There is zero hazard with the panels pictured, maybe 1/10th of a percent lower output, that's it.

Back