diy solar

diy solar

Dangerous to leave string connected?

maxpower

Long story, but I have a roof mounted PV system that has been worked on by multiple contractors. It has never been fired up, and I'm the one who has been working with the utility company to get it connected. They are coming to inspect and set the REC meter and requested:
  • Solar backfed breaker is in the ON position
  • All breakers in combiner boxes are in the ON position
  • Inverter is programmed and DC disconnect is in the ON position
  • The correct One Line Diagram and Site Map are in the info tube on site
  • The actual as-built system size matches the approved application
  • The correct placards are installed.
  • The meter socket is wired correctly (inverter is wired to top of meter socket)

There are 12 260w panels in a string on the roof, going to a DC disconnect (in off position), then to the inverter (off), then to AC disconnect (off). The panels themsleves were currently left disconnected in two places. I connected the string, and turned the DC disconnect to ON, and also tried to turn on my Inverter, and the AC disconnect going to the socket meter (no REC meter installed).

Question 1: was this dangerous for me to undertake? My electrician made it seem like it would be ok, but he also doesn't specialize in solar work and was mainly stepping in to help complete the project.
Question 2: the inverter (SunnyBoy 6.0) won't light up, which I understand could be due to a number of problems that likely require an electrician to troubleshoot...but if there are any basics I should know, please share.

And finally, to my main question, seeing that there could be multiple issues at play way beyond my understanding, I decided not to do anything further on the system myself, other than switch the AC and DC disconnects back to OFF and turn the (apparently non-functioning) inverter off. The string is still connected to itself, however. I did not want yank free any connections, given that it is sunny out and I understand that means the panels are still generating DC (which I know is more lethal than AC). So, as it stands now, am I safe leaving the system as it currently stands while I wait to have an electrician come out? Or are there any precautions I should be taking?

Thank you!

Long story, but I have a roof mounted PV system that has been worked on by multiple contractors. It has never been fired up, and I'm the one who has been working with the utility company to get it connected. They are coming to inspect and set the REC meter and requested:
  • Solar backfed breaker is in the ON position
  • All breakers in combiner boxes are in the ON position
  • Inverter is programmed and DC disconnect is in the ON position
  • The correct One Line Diagram and Site Map are in the info tube on site
  • The actual as-built system size matches the approved application
  • The correct placards are installed.
  • The meter socket is wired correctly (inverter is wired to top of meter socket)

There are 12 260w panels in a string on the roof, going to a DC disconnect (in off position), then to the inverter (off), then to AC disconnect (off). The panels themsleves were currently left disconnected in two places. I connected the string, and turned the DC disconnect to ON, and also tried to turn on my Inverter, and the AC disconnect going to the socket meter (no REC meter installed).

Question 1: was this dangerous for me to undertake? My electrician made it seem like it would be ok, but he also doesn't specialize in solar work and was mainly stepping in to help complete the project.
Question 2: the inverter (SunnyBoy 6.0) won't light up, which I understand could be due to a number of problems that likely require an electrician to troubleshoot...but if there are any basics I should know, please share.

And finally, to my main question, seeing that there could be multiple issues at play way beyond my understanding, I decided not to do anything further on the system myself, other than switch the AC and DC disconnects back to OFF and turn the (apparently non-functioning) inverter off. The string is still connected to itself, however. I did not want yank free any connections, given that it is sunny out and I understand that means the panels are still generating DC (which I know is more lethal than AC). So, as it stands now, am I safe leaving the system as it currently stands while I wait to have an electrician come out? Or are there any precautions I should be taking?

Thank you!
The panels only have voltage potential.
If the circuits are open, no wattage is being generated.

12 260 watt panels in series will yield over 240VDC (18V panels are the floor). While no current will flow if the string is open at any place you should be aware that across that break there could be dangerous voltages present, if you decide to work on things.

Thanks for these thoughts, and forgive my ignorance, but does the string qualify as a closed circuit if all the panels are connected to each other, even if the DC disconnect is OFF.?

That comes down to how your local regulations are written. From an electrical point of view, if any point in the string all the way back to the inverter is open, it's technically an open circuit.

Thanks for these thoughts, and forgive my ignorance, but does the string qualify as a closed circuit if all the panels are connected to each other, even if the DC disconnect is OFF.?
A closed circuit is one connected to load or shorted out.
Open is one disconnected from any loads.

Where is the list of components with basic specs?
Explain 'multiple contractors', which is a big red flag.
Why are all 12 in series? Is that what SunnyBoy6 requires? Show that you understand its requirements. Do we have to look up the specs for you?
Why not try to get it working properly w/o any grid connection. You do not want an inspection before system is working!!
Have you digested a Will Prowse video or two (or ten)?
--

diy solar

diy solar
Back