diy solar

diy solar

Dark Mode

EclecticBadger

lf like myself you are a fan of power saving on mobile devices and have Chrome, Firefox or Safari installed, there is a new browser extension that will display any website's pages as dark mode, including this forum.

The following link will take you to the main website, where DARK READER can be applied by clicking on the browser picture and adding from the relevant store.

Pros: It's dark, power saving, can reduce eye strain, ability to adjust brightness, contrast, sepia tone and greyscale.

Cons: Unable to see highlighted text on this forum in dark mode whilst editing; however dark/light modes can be easily toggled by clicking on the extension icon.

FYI, it won't save any power The LEDs for the screen are all still lit just as bright, but the LCD screen is now blocking most of the light they produce to give the dark background.

FYI, it won't save any power The LEDs for the screen are all still lit just as bright, but the LCD screen is now blocking most of the light they produce to give the dark background.

Whilst it is true the best power saving will be from devices with OLED or AMOLED screens, where the pixel elements are not just rotated but switched off to create the colour black, this particular extension also has option to control brightness, which will have power saving impact with LED displays.

Whilst it is true the best power saving will be from devices with OLED or AMOLED screens, where the pixel elements are not just rotated but switched off to create the colour black, this particular extension also has option to control brightness, which will have power saving impact with LED displays.
If you dim the display, it will save energy...with or without the dark reader app in use.

PHoganDive, I am sorry that you feel the Dark Mode option is not useful to yourself. What can I say(?) Don't use it.

However, if you come across better more workable solution please do share.

My phone is set to automatically adjust the brightness based on the ambient light level. Bright when I'm outside, dark at night. You can drop down the notification panel and manually adjust it still, but it actually works perfectly

lf like myself you are a fan of power saving on mobile devices and have Chrome, Firefox or Safari installed, there is a new browser extension that will display any website's pages as dark mode, including this forum.

The following link will take you to the main website, where DARK READER can be applied by clicking on the browser picture and adding from the relevant store.

Pros: It's dark, power saving, can reduce eye strain, ability to adjust brightness, contrast, sepia tone and greyscale.

Cons: Unable to see highlighted text on this forum in dark mode whilst editing; however dark/light modes can be easily toggled by clicking on the extension icon.

This brightness of this forum is killing me. What happens to sites like Facebook that have a dark mode when you install this extension?

This brightness of this forum is killing me. What happens to sites like Facebook that have a dark mode when you install this extension?
Night Light helps if you're on win10. Otherwise, all sites respond differently to browser extensions. You can always get rid of it or program it to ignore selected sites.

I brought up the same question a while ago, I'd really like to see a dark theme too ;)

@upnorthandpersonal any ETA available?

NB: I can't use that extension as I have a lot of tabs open at all times, and as it's poorly written it's slow as hell and uses lots of resources. But most websites already have dark themes so it's usually ok.

I love the Dark Reader thing most the time, but it seems to slow down loading of web pages for me (I'm using Chrome on a Mac), and especially when Chrome opens a PDF page the scrolling is super slow...

I have to toggle the plugin off in Extensions Manager, refresh the PDF, to scroll normal responsiveness... Or just save the PDF locally and open it in the local PDF viewer... It's not hard to toggle it off and on quickly using Chrome plugin 'Extensions Manager (aka Switcher)'...

Other than that, it's great... Thanks for sharing at any rate!

I love the Dark Reader thing most the time, but it seems to slow down loading of web pages for me (I'm using Chrome on a Mac), and especially when Chrome opens a PDF page the scrolling is super slow...

I have to toggle the plugin off in Extensions Manager, refresh the PDF, to scroll normal responsiveness... Or just save the PDF locally and open it in the local PDF viewer... It's not hard to toggle it off and on quickly using Chrome plugin 'Extensions Manager (aka Switcher)'...

Other than that, it's great... Thanks for sharing at any rate!

I've also noticed that Google seems to have fixed the issue with PDFs scrolling really slow with Dark Reader enabled, now the performance is decent. I am still happy using Dark Reader to get all web pages to not show bright colors.

My only beef now, is when searching text on PDFs in Chrome, I wish it would use a bright yellow highlight when showing text on a find, as it can be very hard to see found text on a page...

Back