diy solar

diy solar

DB Fiber optic buried next to DB triplex power cables in a trench - problem?

It's direct burial fiber cable with a steel jacket that is causing all this annoyance, so if that doesn't keep it from getting crushed without conduit, so be it. I'm not adding 600 foot of conduit for a direct burial, steel jacket, fiber optic cable that is supposed to not need it.

Point taken BUT

If your soil is glacial till like ours (lots of river rocks) then I would bite the bullet and ruin conduit.......get the 20' sticks from a professional supply house to make it easier............It's only 30 sticks!

All the new power installs around here require 3" conduit for the feeder. No more direct bury!

That's easy enough to do. I can do that with a shovel without going back and forth with the excavator and risking collapsing the trench.

Yeah. So you can bury the fiber well above the power. It need not be so deep so long as you're not driving on it.

Point taken BUT

If your soil is glacial till like ours (lots of river rocks) then I would bite the bullet and ruin conduit.......get the 20' sticks from a professional supply house to make it easier............It's only 30 sticks!

All the new power installs around here require 3" conduit for the feeder. No more direct bury!

Our soil is straight up sand. Rocks are very rare. Clay on top for a foot or two, then pure sand.

Back