diy solar

diy solar

DC Fridge or AC fridge with inverter?

For me - easy choice. Another $80 panel, additional $80 battery, $167 7CF 120VAC fridge. $330; done. And useable excess solar. And I don’t have some cooler taking up space
But if you already have a simple 100 watt or better panel, and a battery? I paid $192 for my cheap Chinese 12volt fridge. Takes up very little space, and consumes ~130 Wh per 24 hours. So, for less then your choice, you get the convenience of a portable fridge that weighs less than 30lbs. It's worth considering anyways. It's nice to have choices.

I wonder where the Cheap 120vac fridges are made, and exactly how easy they are to repair? If they have a short life span, isn't the argument kinda moot? Has anyone here ever actually taken a fridge in for repair?

I actually did once, I had a early 1950's coke machine that no longer chilled, took it to a refer shop, and they fixed it right away, and for cheap, if I remember right. Would the refrigerator repair shop be able to to fix a cheap fridge, AC or DC? I don't know.

I crave real data. I enjoy testing things.

But if you already have a simple 100 watt or better panel, and a battery? I paid $192 for my cheap Chinese 12volt fridge. Takes up very little space, and consumes ~130 Wh per 24 hours. So, for less then your choice, you get the convenience of a portable fridge that weighs less than 30lbs. It's worth considering anyways. It's nice to have choices.

What size fridge? 3 quart?

You do realize that for that money, by default you most likely have the cheapest compressor assembly on the market?
Granted, if you use it only occasionally, it could last a few years. But under heavy use you get what you pay for rings true.
That said, if there is a consensus that the fridge you have lasts for at least 2 years under heavy use, then I'd probably buy one :)

Meanwhile, my 120Ah battery barely notices the 300wh overnight and my 2 solar panel can replace that easily and keep it going all day.

Somebody said you could get 5 AC fridges for the price of an entry level DC fridge. This is the cheapest fridge I could find at Wally-world, maybe somewhere else is cheaper?

And here is the cheap DC fridge I own: ($249 retail, I got mine for $192 on special)

And I have attached real data from an actual 24 hour run. (temps 70-72 f)

Attachments

• BougeRV_power24hrs.jpg
    BougeRV_power24hrs.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 1

You do realize that for that money, by default you most likely have the cheapest compressor assembly on the market?
Granted, if you use it only occasionally, it could last a few years. But under heavy use you get what you pay for rings true.
That said, if there is a consensus that the fridge you have lasts for at least 2 years under heavy use, then I'd probably buy one :)

Meanwhile, my 120Ah battery barely notices the 300wh overnight and my 2 solar panel can replace that easily and keep it going all day.

By all means keep us posted as to how much you use it and the failure date. haha
Please see my original post, and also a more recent one. I have been using both of my DC fridges extensively for the last year, as I have stated before. the argument that the compressor is cheap is compared to what? A $79 dorm fridge? really? My 50Ah rebel lifepo4 battery takes even less notice. I can run for at least 4 days without recharge, and no inverter needed. You Gotta factor in the cost of the inverter here.
And inverters do fail. Why introduce another point of failure?

Last edited by a moderator:

By all means keep us posted as to how much you use it and the failure date. haha
Please show us the make and model of your inverter, and how much you paid for it. That must be factored in., as well as the warranty. Please keep us posted as to how much you use it and the failure date. HaHa

Please show us the make and model of your inverter, and how much you paid for it. That must be factored in., as well as the warranty. Please keep us posted as to how much you use it and the failure date. HaHa

I already posted all of that. Please search for it if you are that interested.
You get what you pay for. :)

You can get cheap or you can get quality
But quality never comes cheap.

If I get two years out of my AC fridge WOOT! $40 per year is great.

I still have two Massimo (Alpicool) China built LG compressors 54qt fridges operating 24/7 @ 32deg F for almost a year now on LiFePo and solar.
Never had a problem with operation.

So if your fat wallet needs some emptying go get ya a trendy box and you'll be in the club.

Both Massimos together cost less than 1 of those worshiped shiny trendy coolers and probably could have bought three and still spent less.

Bought at Costco so warranty is not a concern.

BTW, those Amazon reviews are regularly bought and sold................... ;)

So, let's debunk the argument for a AC fridge, at least for grid down or camping. OnTheRoadAgain says he is using 300wh for 10 hours on a Jackery. (it isn't stated how this was measured, I have a Jackery too, they don't measure watt hours used, just percent power remaining)
I use a kill-a-watt for AC measurements and a DC power logger for DC. I actually test my stuff.

So, the power used for the AC fridge will be about ~350 watt hours for 12 hours, probably more. So we are talking ~700 watt hours for 24 hours. That is a lot of power. The Jackery 500 only has a stated 518Wh, but in real life, it's going to be closer to 90% of that, so 466wh. So in a grid down- no sun emergency, you can't even make it a full day with a Jackery.

This is exactly why DC fridges are so popular.

My testing with the 23quart BougeRV (which I posted pictures of real results earlier) , uses ~135 watt hours per 24 hours. That's over 5 times more efficient.

With a 50ah lifepo4 battery, I can go at least 4 days without a charge, or forever with sun and a panel. I have had this fridge for almost a year now and use it lots. No issues whatsoever. None.

I would love to see more actual tests on fridges.

Wasn't this the stated use case:

Offgrid cottage or cabin used on the weekends.
Owner wants to turn off the inverter but keep the fridge running during the week.

So obviously the DC fridge wins hands down here.

I'm new here with little to no experience with solar. This discussion seems to be off the rails.
I'll offer my opinion to the OP. It's your money do what you want with it! As a licensed HVAC, Refrigeration and electrical contractor, you will likely not be repairing any of it yourself. If your refrigerator is down and it's that small you could take it to be repaired but it's probably cost prohibitive. Just buy another and go again. Even a $500-$800 unit is likely the same. If you can do it yourself pick your want even experiment a little. If it's me I go 120 volt. Less amps (not less watts) to the refrigerator and more redily available for repair although I did not look to see if I could find a DC compressor available. Just saying they probably aren't laying on the shelf downtown.

Power efficiency is one part of the equation. Space to put stuff in is another. I run a Dometic CFF45 in my van. Space inside the van is at a premium. I want a top loading fridge because we are on rough roads (if you can even call them roads). I want a power sipping fridge since the house battery is small. However, for the price of the Dometic I could get a pretty much full sized regular fridge. I've been very happy with the Dometic.

In a cabin or at home, I'd rather have the space to put stuff in. It is so easy to make sure the power system can accommodate it. I can save some cash to put towards the power system buying a regular fridge. I can go to the local appliance store for a replacement or service if needed.

As to buying quality and you get what you pay for, in my life I have found that to be true. There are a few things that one can buy on the cheap but most of the time it is a waste of money. My grandma used to say that I was too poor to buy cheap. I think she was right.

For you folks that are replacing an absorption refrigerator with a DC or AC fridge, how does the depth of the old and new units compare?

My Dometic RM2852 has a specified 24" depth. Many of the alternative refrigerators have a depth that is at least 1.25" more, while the width is an exact match.

For you folks that are replacing an absorption refrigerator with a DC or AC fridge, how does the depth of the old and new units compare?

My Dometic RM2852 has a specified 24" depth. Many of the alternative refrigerators have a depth that is at least 1.25" more, while the width is an exact match.
Part of the reason we went with DC is the internal size- I can't recall the specific absorption fridge that would fit the same hole, but it was significantly less internal space, the one we got is 3 cu ft. On top of that, venting. Instead of having a vent to give fresh air and exhaust to the outside, we just have to have enough vent for cooling the coils.

Part of the reason we went with DC is the internal size- I can't recall the specific absorption fridge that would fit the same hole, but it was significantly less internal space, the one we got is 3 cu ft. On top of that, venting. Instead of having a vent to give fresh air and exhaust to the outside, we just have to have enough vent for cooling the coils.

More internal space is looking like a given for something that fits the opening (height and width). But any DC or AC fridge that fits that opening, is deeper than what my current absorption refrigerator specs say.

Power efficiency is one part of the equation. Space to put stuff in is another.
Well your post surprised me cuz I agree with the above but in an entirely different direction. I understand your purpose snd if that’s what works for you- fantastic.

Space to put stuff in is why I need a bigger fridge than the cooler ones.

For me, however, I have used an AEG (magicChef) gas/electric ammonia fridge for years. 7+ cubic feet. I live out of it every day. I’m not keeping a six pack and some cold cuts- I need a small freezer and daily use milk, juice, condiments, meat, cheese, etc.

For the idea of a 12V $200 electric cooler... not interested. Too small. So if it’s 1/5 the size it should be no surprise at 1/5 the Ah/day a.k.a. KWh/dy.

I’m currently running a 1.4A-labeled fridge that varies 140-160W on the cc meter right now. 5+CF. Barely enough space and no freezer. plus when it comes on it’s a split spec at 850-900W.
My 500W system seems to run it fine.
I am awaiting delivery of a 4.7CF with a tiny freezer compartment so even tighter but it’s only rated 0.8A

I guess for overnight or weekend use one of those dometic 12V electric coolers is ok but I don’t think I could deal with it. But hey, if that works for you- great!

I think we actually agree. The dometic is in my van where space and power are at a premium. At home (which is off grid) I use a regular, energy star type fridge.

I still have two Massimo (Alpicool) China built LG compressors 54qt fridges operating 24/7 @ 32deg F for almost a year now on LiFePo and solar.
Never had a problem with operation.

So if your fat wallet needs some emptying go get ya a trendy box and you'll be in the club.

Both Massimos together cost less than 1 of those worshiped shiny trendy coolers and probably could have bought three and still spent less.

Bought at Costco so warranty is not a concern.

BTW, those Amazon reviews are regularly bought and sold................... ;)
Thats true enough for the positive ones, of course theres no reason for a seller to buy negative reviews, is there? They certainly are holding purchasers hostage over warranty service and negative reviews. It seems SOP is the product breaks, the seller doesnt answer phone calls or emails, purchaser posts a negative review, seller contacts buyer and offers a full or partial refund- depending on how long they had it- on the condition the review is removed or changed. The outside window seems to be a month or two, in fact a costway reviewer says their CSR outright stated the warranty was really 90 days.
My experience was complaining to amazon within a week, they promptly refunded the purchase price, told me to keep it. However they also wouldnt post an honest critical review even after several rewrites. (About six months later I persisted and it did post) The freezer still ran at that time, but the temp control was stuck, the lid warped, insulation non existent, too frustrating.
All indications are that Iceco is in a better class of product than the Costways/other cheap copies, though it remains a mystery if theyll actually be able to honor warranties any better than Costway does, since theyre in the same boat- no factory or service personnel here so no repair possible. They can only offer refund or replacement.
Some Iceco reviews and comments mention they didnt answer the phone until a "nasty" review was left.
It looks like Iceco began as a copy rebrander a few years ago and moved up the ladder to now doing their own manufacturing of copies of premium brands. Last year they offered an uncanny copy of the National Luna legacy 60l dual control I have. Now they have copies that look like newer ARB models, though have reached the $1000 price point.

As for your Massimo, some interesting discussion here:

Mostly positive. Not sure if Costcos additional protection amounts to a warranty, per se, or should be considered an extended return policy, and how long that is. Costco probably dictates policies to vendors, and their contract probably makes allowances that some of these will be eaten when they break.
Anyone familiar with Chinese imports realizes that none of these companies have a production facility here, there are no qualified service personnel, no spare parts stateside. Not getting shipped to China for repair, no way no how.
The takeaway is that what we know as a warranty on things we have purchased in the past, isnt possible on any Chinese products today.
The only resolution is refund of funds, the amount and time wholly dependent upon how much damage the disgruntled buyer can do through the internet to the sellers reputation.
Buying from costco prolly best case scenario. Others, Id buy thru paypal. Amazon wont get you a return past a month.

Back