diy solar

diy solar

DC fuse block vs CB/switchblock, for 400W small Truck popup system?

Dave in AZ

Solar Enthusiast
Hi, I diligently searched but can't find info on this. All the mobile systems show using a Blue Sea dc fuse block for dc distribution. Small loads like LED lights, fan, etc. But I also see him list a dc circuit breaker and switch panel in parts lists. Wondering if there is some reason not to use a cb switch combo instead of fuseblock? Seems for small loads it would be way easier to find a tripped circuit, and easier to wire with on/off switches right there next to popup CBs. Voltage drop wouldn't be any issue for led lights etc., just seems a better setup in small truck camper?

watched all Will's videos, searched and read 10 pages of dc fuseblock threads, and read 7 pages of mobile system threads... can't find this mentioned.

Using a breaker panel is fine. At one time, breakers were not designed to have enough switching cycles to use as switches, but pretty much all modern ones now are. Go for it.

ahh gotcha, the problem with that is I can't see that amp the CBs are or how to change it. using normal automotive fuses allow us to easily change the color based on the wiring. Like the one below I have the right 4 to turn on my DC-DC chargers with a 5a fuse while use 30a for overhead lights.

I do use this one that I really like. It has bluetooth app that I can use my phone to turn on/off. Only complaint is its pretty bright.

My coach has CBs for most things with minidin mounts in its electrical panel. Not sure why they didn't to the top right ones the same way. Super helpful as I can flip the little red thing to manually trip them when testing items.

Attachments

• 20231027_151132.jpg
    20231027_151132.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Back